Chapter 35: Story Time With Friends

September 13, 2010

"... So, Kate bursts through the door, shotgun fully loaded and pointed right at Samuel's head," Dean was saying, trying to smother his laughter. "She looks him dead in the eye and says 'you have fifteen seconds to explain why you brought Dean here before I blow your head all over the wall you walking phallus.'"

"She did not!" Danny gasped, mouth open in a wide grin as he turned to look at Kate.

"It was the first thing that popped into my head," she shrugged in response, taking an embarrassed sip of her drink.

Danny let loose a howl of laughter, and was closely followed up by Damon and Dean. Nik gave an irritated grunt at the laughter before burying his head in his father's jacket whilst Arrow did the same with Kate. After breakfast, the group had moved to the den/living area where they had made themselves drinks before settling themselves on the couches. Dean and Kate sat on one couch, the male's left arm around her shoulders as she sat snuggled close beside him. Damon and Danny had settled themselves across from the couple where Danny, trying to mimic Dean, had tried to put his arm around Damon only to be playfully shoved away by his younger brother.

The group had watched Nik run around and try to playfully steal Arrow's moose before they both got tired and crawled up on the couch, nestling themselves on their parents' laps. It was then that Danny persuaded the couple to tell the story about their meeting with Samuel Campbell. Danny had been intrigued about the whole ordeal, but had lost it when Kate made her grand entrance. 

"What did you do when you noticed Sammy?" Danny inquired once his laughter finally subsided.

Kate squirmed in her seat, letting Dean answer with, "Well, Sam tried to intervene until Kate threatened to shave off all of his hair. He stayed quiet after that."

"To be fair, for all I knew it was some sort of weird-ass shifter posing as Sam," Kate pointed out. "Best way to tell for sure was to see how protective he was of his hair."

"I take it you were satisfied?" Danny surmised, amusement in his tone.

"For the time being," Kate replied, her lips flattening into a thin line. "There's something... off about the whole thing."

"About the situation or about Sam?"  Danny questioned, taking a sip of his drink.

"Both," Kate replied bluntly. "There's something weird about how they were both brought back. If it was just Sam, I wouldn't have thought about it too much – these two come back to life more often than I can count. But with Campbell coming back too..."

"Hmm, I see your point," Danny hummed in response, swilling his drink around thoughtfully. "I don't like that Sam's been spending so much time with Campbell. Might need to rectify that."

"Is the guy really that bad?" Damon frowned, finally entering the conversation.

"I'd heard horror stories about him before – rumors about how he'd do anything to get his monster," Danny informed him, noting the look Dean and Kate exchanged.

"Don't all hunters do that?"

"No. There's two types of hunters out there," Kate began, glancing up at Dean.

"The first kind is what we are – or were, I guess. We hunt monsters, but there are some good ones out there that we've let go. Plus, we try to keep people safe – and not use them as bait," Dean continued, taking a gulp of his own drink.

"Except under extenuating circumstances where we have no choice," Kate added, receiving a nod from Dean.

"What's the second type? Serial killers?" Damon smirked over his glass.