Chapter 8: Awkward Road Trip Down Memory Lane(Edited)

September 15, 1864

Daniel Salvatore stood at the front door of the Salvatore Mansion, taking in deep breaths to steady and calm himself. It had been three years since he had seen his brothers and his biological father. Three years since he had been human. Three years since his life took a turn-in his opinion-for the better. He shook himself of these thoughts. He was supposed to be human, and so that's what he would be.

Steeling his nerves, he knocked on the door before stepping back a few paces to wait. He looked around the front of the house, pleasant memories of his time spent here, running and playing with his brothers surfaced in his mind's eye. A smile crept its way onto his face before he heard the door open, and he turned to see his face staring back at him. Damon.

"D-Daniel? Is that-can it possibly be?" Damon stuttered, seeming stunned as he stepped out onto the front porch.

"It is good to see you again, brother. I trust you have been well?" Daniel smiled, embracing his brother and clapping him on the back in a bro hug.

Damon hugged him back, and they stayed like that for a few moments before the younger Salvatore stepped back, holding him at arm's length, saying, "How are you still here? We were told you were dead-that you had deserted."

"A story for another time, brother. Now, are you going to leave me out here waiting, or are you going to invite me in?" Daniel smiled, clapping him on the shoulder.

"Right, yes, of course, please come in. I am sure Stefan will be most excited to see you," Damon replied, smiling broadly before stepping into the house.

Daniel hesitated at the threshold before following him, glancing around and noting with distaste that the place hadn't changed much over the years. He looked up the stairs, and had to stop himself from using his vampire hearing to locate the residents of the house. He turned his head to Damon as he called out to Stefan, smiling at the prospect of seeing his youngest brother again.

Said brother appeared down the stairs, accompanied by a young woman with brown hair and eyes. Daniel supposed she was rather pretty, but something about her set off alarm bells in his head, something he couldn't quite place. Perhaps it was the way she smiled flirtatiously at him, or the way his brothers seemed to look at her adoringly-Stefan's gaze seeming a bit...odd to him. He ignored all this for a moment as he embraced Stefan, and the three brothers shared a moment to rejoice in the fact that they were together again. That moment ended however, when the Salvatore patriarch entered the room to see what the commotion was about.

"Daniel? You are alive?" came the surprised voice of Giuseppe Salvatore.

Daniel turned toward him slowly, his fists clenching as he struggled to hold back the massive amounts of anger and hatred he held towards the man. This sorry excuse of a parent had made his life and the lives of his brothers a living hell over the years, not to mention that he was the whole reason Daniel had joined the Confederacy, despite his own beliefs on the matter. Plus, he was marginally sure that he had something to do with Lillian's death.

"No thanks to you, Giuseppe," Daniel replied in the usual cold manner he specifically reserved for the man

The man seemed - surprisingly - taken aback at his tone, and replied angrily with, "You may be an adult, and you may have just come home, but you will show some respect. I am your father, and—"

"Oh, burn in hell for all eternity. You're a piss poor excuse for a father, and you know it. The only reason why Stefan and Damon turned out as well as they did was because of me-and you damn well better remember that," Daniel replied, turning on his heel and marching upstairs to where his room was.