❁ nine ❁

"I just want to know why. You can't just ask?" Harry says, somewhat whiny and child like.

"Harry, it's not my business, nor is it really Lottie's either," Kendall says, feeling bad that she can't help her friend out. "Why do you need to know so bad?"

"Because, if I know that Eliot has flaws and isn't the perfect boyfriend, I'll just feel better," He says as they both walk through the school halls together after getting back from going to lunch.

"Well I don't know. All Lottie said was that she doesn't like him and that he doesn't deserve Louis. I have no clue why she thinks that though."

Harry sighs. Why is this so complicated? Why can't Louis just be single? Is it really too much to ask for? He just wants to know that Eliot isn't the one for Louis because if he isn't, well then maybe he actually does have a chance.

"Well if his own sister says that, then it must be true, right?" Harry asks, desperate for some type of confirmation. He honestly wouldn't mind if Kendall lies straight to his face. He just needs it to be true, he needs the satisfaction of knowing that he's better than Eliot.

"I mean, I don't think she would just make it up. She really did seem to not like him at all so there's definitely hope that Louis will one day feel the same, I guess."

"You guess?"

"Yes Harry, because this isn't my business or relationship. I barely know Louis, and Lottie and I don't really talk about personal things too often. I can't give you advice or information that I don't have."

"Fine, but promise me that if she says anything else you'll tell me. I need to find out why she thinks he's not worthy of Louis."

Kendall looks away from Harry with a sigh. "Yeah sure," she says with an underlying attitude.

"What?" Harry asks, not understanding why Kendall's annoyed.

"It's just, what if he is good? Then what, Harry? What are you gonna do if Louis does stay with Eliot? Which, really is the most realistic outcome."

"I don't know but what if he doesn't. What if Lottie is right?" Harry argues, getting a little defensive.

"Fine, let's say she does explain it, what are you even going to do with the information? You can't just tell Louis his boyfriend sucks and they need to breakup so you can replace him," Kendall says. "That's just not how it works."

It's obvious that she doesn't really want to be having this conversation with Harry, and okay, maybe that's understandable because who would want to be pulled into drama that they have no part in? She's still Harry's best friend though, and in his opinion that means she should at least try to sound like she cares.

"It'll just make me feel better."

"Knowing that Louis' stuck with some asshole and not you? Okay, Harry, whatever." With that Kendall turns the corner to go to her own class, leaving Harry standing alone on the middle of the hallway.

He never thought about it that way. Why would he want Eliot to be a bad guy? Shouldn't he want Louis to be happy, even if it's not with him? It's selfish, he's already established this, but he still can't help the fact that he would be satisfied knowing that he's a better person. It's stupid, and really he needs to just get over it because there's no point in stressing about it. If Louis and Eliot aren't meant for each other then they'll break up at some point, and if they are? Well Harry's just going to have to suck it up.

As the morning goes on, Harry tries to busy his mind with anything other than Louis and Elliot but unsurprisingly, he's not too successful at it. It's hard for him to accept the fact that he got his wishes of being able to get to know Louis, but can't have what he's wishing for right now. What if the universe thinks he's being ungrateful for not being happy with what he got?