❁ eight ❁

"Yeah but what about chicken?"

"Well Harry, the definition of a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat any meat and chicken is a meat so..."

"Okay yeah I know, but it's so good."

"Maybe so, but when you actually think about it, you're consuming the rotting flesh of a bird just because 'it tastes good.'" Louis argues. Finding it very amusing how persistent Harry is about chicken.

"Yeah I guess. I just know I definitely don't have the will power to say no to chicken."

Louis chuckles from his side of the table, covering his mouth with the back of his hand that's being swallowed up by his much too long sleeves. Somehow him and Harry got into a conversation about different types of diets so Louis mentioned that he was a vegetarian and well, Harry just couldn't, or rather can't, comprehend it.

Harry has noticed that the past few days it seem that Louis has come out of his shell just a bit. Of course he's still very quiet and shy but there will be times where it's almost as if he forgets that he feels that way and will just be himself, and Harry loves it.

"So..." Harry starts after the whole chicken conversation dies down, grabbing Louis' attention before continuing. "How long have you and Eliot been together?" He asks. And yeah, Harry knows it's stupid of him to ask questions about Louis' relationship because it's not like he's going to be happy to hear Louis talk about it, but a part of him is curious and just couldn't help asking.

"Oh," Louis says, bringing his hand away from his face and placing it in his lap. "Um, about three years."

"Oh, that's nice," Harry says, having to repress his distaste for the fact that they've been together for so long. Harry was kind of hoping it would be much shorter of a time because then at least that way, it wouldn't be that unrealistic for something to go wrong. He knows it's a horribly selfish thought but he truly can't help it.

"Yeah," Louis says back just as awkwardly. "Are you in a relationship?"

Harry frowns, eyes becoming sad as he thinks about just how single he really is. "No, but I'm definitely not opposed to it."

"Mm," Louis hums, nodding as to acknowledge Harry's answer. "Is there anyone you like?"

Harry sighs to himself before looking back up at Louis. He's quiet for a moment as he stares into Louis' blue eyes that are surprisingly looking right back. "Yeah, there's someone, but...I don't think it would ever work out."

"Oh, that sucks," Louis says, still playing with his hands under the table, oblivious to the fact that Harry was talking about him.

"I'm kind of thirsty, I think I'm gonna go get a water bottle or something. You want one?" Harry asks, standing up from the table.

"Uh, it's fine, thanks though," Louis politely declines.

Harry nods and turns to leave the room. He is thirsty, but really that was only partially the reason he wanted to get up. He just couldn't handle hearing about Eliot and relationships in general, even if Louis barely said anything at all.

Really it's not even what Louis specifically said. It's just all of the thoughts and scenarios that come to mind when he thinks of Louis and his boyfriend together and happy. He's never been a jealous person but lately that statement has definitely been far from true.

He likes Louis, he really does, and yeah, he knew what he was getting himself into, he knew that this was coming, that Niall was right. It was inevitable. Spending time with Louis really only has one downside and that would be the fact that the more that it happens, the more that Harry gets to talk to him and have the privilege to witness just how perfect he really is, meaning the worse the pain of knowing he'll never be in Eliot's place becomes.