3- Library

Two days passed by and I was still a fidgeting mess and only a little recovered from the overuse of my magic. How could I let this happen? Why me? Out of all the people. Out of all the witches. Why in the world was I a mate? The universe, or what ever actually did the pairing, must have a sick sense of humor.

I'd hardly slept, which only added to my sluggish state. If I wanted to recover -and I really needed to- then I should be sleeping as much as I could and eating energy-rich foods. I'd managed to eat decent, but sleep just didn't care how much I needed it.

Every time I closed my eyes all I could see was the unadulterated pleasure that relaxed his face the second he'd licked my magic-soaked blood off his thumb. The breathy, 'fuck...' he'd let out.

Just the thought sent a jolt of something through my lower abdomen.

"Sweetheart?"

My vision cleared, but it took me a second to focus on my dad. "Hmm?" I asked, looking at him then at my cousin Tom.

The men shared a look, then Tom spoke. "You okay?"

"Uh...yeah." I straightened in my chair, crossing my legs at the knee. "I'm good. Sorry. What'd you say?"

Jesus, get your shit together. I should absolutely not be having dirty thoughts about anyone in front of my family, let alone a vampire. Let alone the vampire I'd have to see on a regular basis.

Dad eyed me worriedly. "Do you know the attacker?" He said like he was repeating it.

"No." I shook my head. "Didn't recognize him."

"Did Douglas?"

My heart took off zero to sixty in a second flat. "I didn't get a chance to ask."

Dad watched Tom scribble the information down, then looked back up at me. "When you get a chance ask him. He should at least know a name we can keep track of. Maybe we can get him for breaking the treaty."

I swallowed a lump in my throat, but it wouldn't go away. "Maybe."

"Also he should've handled it." He went on. "It's bad enough you have to put any trust in him as it is. The least he can do is his damn job."

I remembered the look in his eye when I'd first seen him even slightly out of control, when he should've been 'doing his job'. I cleared my throat. "Mmhmm."

"Anyway," He said and looked back down at Tom's work. "You mentioned shared blood?"

I choked on the breath I'd been so carefully trying to even out. "What?" I gasped.

Dad gave me a look like he thought I was losing it. "The mates -you said the girl was healed? So we might have another vampire here soon?"

Oh thank god. "Maybe. I don't really see him letting her die though. Not after what happened."

"Yeah but maybe it'll make him wanna change her over." Tom said without looking up from his paperwork. At the silence that followed, he looked up at us. "I mean...you know? So she can fight for herself?"

Dad glanced to me before looking back to Tom. "He'd have to kill her." He said like it wasn't obvious.

Tom's pencil wielding hands slowly lowered to the table. "Yeah, but like...she's probably gonna die anyway running around with vampers all the time."

It took a long minute of us staring at him for him to realize I also ran with vampers all the time. "Yeah, but- wait no- You're different."

I nodded once. "Mmhmm." Really I just felt bad he'd said something like that in front of Dad. I wasn't so bothered, but he was not at all happy with me putting myself in danger.