35- PTSD

It was so fast.

Douglas noticed something was wrong with me and lifted a concerned eyebrow.

Kas looked from him to me and back again, clueless.

Panic surged through me under the pressure of this unknown threat approaching so fast. It was close now. I couldn't think. I was so scared.

I remembered Douglas laying there lifeless, staring up at the sky. That look on his face. I couldn't see it again.

I twisted as a long cord of energy snapped out of my hand. White arcs lifted out of my skin. The air around me crackled.

I saw a flash of dark skin, then my view was blocked.

Douglas was in front of me. He grabbed a hold of my electrified wrists and the scent of burning skin filled the air so strong even I could smell it.

"Melody-" He yelled, sounding like it wasn't the first time. "Angel! Hey!"

I tried to shove him out of the way but he was so much stronger than me. Didn't he understand there was someone behind him?

He pushed me back a step, fighting my magic to keep his hands on me. "-Saul!"

Saul?

The aura was dark brown and worried. I'd seen tan skin and dark hair before Douglas got in the way. It was Saul?

The crackling energy around me faltered.

"It's only Saul." Douglas forced out. He sounded off. Something was hurting him.

I was hurting him.

My energy evaporated into the air. I looked down at his blistered arms and singed off t-shirt. His skin was horrible. It was red and looked like he'd stuck his arms in boiling water.

I did that.

I twisted away from him sharply and leaned over the railing as my stomach violently hurled up its contents.

Kas' aura came closer and he pulled my hair back.

I heard Douglas hiss painfully. My eyes were squeezed shut but I couldn't stop seeing his burned skin or his dead eyes. 

"I'm healing." He breathed to try and make me feel better. 

I shook my head as I fought for air between gagging and retching. It didn't matter that he healed. I still did it. I still hurt everyone close to me.

I sucked in breath after breath, still hanging over the railing. My head hurt. I was dizzy. I still felt like I might throw up again if I moved too much.

I felt Douglas' hands on me and Kas' leave. I turned and wrapped my arms around him just to be sure he was here and okay. 

One of his arms went straight around my back, the other lifted the bottom of his ruined shirt and wiped my mouth carefully.

"It's okay." He muttered. "I'm okay."

"I'm so sorry." Saul said from down in my yard. "I didn't mean to scare you. I was just coming to make sure everyone was okay after yesterday."

"Well," Kas said. "I think we've all been better."

Tears were rolling down my cheeks and I didn't understand why. I wasn't sobbing. They just wouldn't stop. 

Douglas pulled me harder against him and I felt his cheek against my hair. He didn't say anything but my face was touching his chest through his singed shirt. He was so worried about me, which I didn't understand. He should be worried about him.