40- Uninvited

I sighed down at my phone. He was calling again. Garrett said he was freaking out. Part of me thought that was a good thing, but the other part of me felt bad. We'd been so close for so long. Maybe I was being too hard on him?

I heaved an even bigger sigh and answered the call.

"Hello?" I asked. My voice sounded beyond annoyed and I felt a pang of guilt.

"Fucking finally." Jack breathed. "Garrett said you wanted to talk."

I rolled my eyes. "No, he said you wanted to talk. So talk."

"I just..." His voice faded. "I...I'm sorry, okay? I fucked up. I just...I wanna be friends again. I miss you."

If I was being completely honest with myself, I missed him too. There had been so many times where he was the only person I had. Maybe this fight wasn't worth all that.

"I miss you too." I whispered. "Just...you can't do that. You know I don't want you like that."

"I know." He muttered. "I know. I'm sorry."

I sighed again. I was doing a lot of that today apparently.

A knock sounded out in the living room from the front door.

"Got it!" Aiden yelled.

Beside me, Douglas groaned awake.

"Fine, I guess." I said to Jack and Douglas looked up at me in groggy confusion. "But it's not just going back to normal. I don't trust you the same."

"Okay, that's fine. That's great." Jack said quickly.

Douglas rolled his eyes and dropped his face back to the pillow. "Mistake." He rumbled.

I smiled down at him and rubbed his back with my free hand.

Loud banging on the bedroom door made me jump. "MELODY?"

It was Dad.

"Oh, uh, I gotta go." I said and hung up.

I tossed my phone on the side table and slid out of bed. Douglas was already around to my side, eyeing the door worriedly.

"Wh-" I was cut off by the door just swinging open. It bounced off the wall and Dad caught it as he stormed in.

"Are you kidding me?" He demanded as he took in the sight of us.

Douglas was shirtless, in his usual black lounge pants, and I was in a big shirt that covered the fact I wasn't wearing pants. We were just in our pajamas.

"You're the one that barged in here like a psycho!" I yelled.

His eyes narrowed dangerously. "Melody. Make the right decision."

That was clearly, unmistakably a threat. It was 'make the right decision or I will'.

I felt myself steel. "I have."

For a few long second, we glared each other down. Neither of us would give in.

"I think it's time you left." Douglas said, clearly irritated.

Dad's eyes cut to him. "You're uninvited."

My eyes widened so fast they hurt. The world slowed dramatically as my attention snapped to Douglas.

He rocked back like he'd been hit. He sucked in a sharp gasp, then let it out in a scream full of agony as he arched back.

I threw myself at him as he dropped to his knees. His hands went into his hair. He curled forward.