07| Come Together

***

"This woman that took Rachel can't be too bad if she brought her here." I stated as we walked across the parking lot towards the arcade. This seemed like an odd place head to when you've kidnapped a child.

Those were the first words that Dick and I had spoken in almost an hour, and there was something liberating in not being locked up in a long car ride with him. I could feel his resentment towards me, even though he was clearly trying to hide it. But as I looked at him now I realized that I couldn't see the boy that I knew before. 

"Come on let's go." Dick simply replied as he led the way into the arcade. For it being the beginning of the week I was surprised at how busy the place was. However, considering that the woman that we were looking for has specific characteristic she wasn't very hard to find. Her magenta hair sticking out like a sore thumb in a sea of ordinary people. 

"That's her." Dick stated as he walked over to the woman not wanting to waste anytime. "Hey. I gotta talk to you."

"Yeah, take a number." The woman stated not bothering to turn around and look at us. Dick, however turned to look at me with a look of surprise that was so comical, it almost  pained me not to laugh. 

"About Rachel." I stated firmly as Dick still seemed to be recovering. "Where is she?"

She finally turned around, and although she looked human there was something about the color of her eyes that stuck me for a moment. Everything from her bright magenta hair to her height towering over Dick and I who would already be considered tall was striking. "You're Dick from Detroit." 

"Where is she?" I asked again finally tearing her gaze away from Dick.  

"Follow me." The woman told us, and without another word she walked off into the crowd of bored parents and children excited to get to the next arcade game. 

On the other side of the Arcade a girl with dark purple hair was intensely playing on a pinball machine. Although I couldn't see her face I knew it was Rachel. She was talking excitedly with a boy with dyed green hair, and I began to wonder if there was a trend I've missed. Considering that almost everyone we've encountered has taken a liking to dying their hair vibrant colors. 

Without a moment of hesitation Dick approached the pair of teenagers in a less than aggressive way. "Hey, come on. We're going."

"What are you doing here?" Rachel asked, with a look of both anger and hurt in her eyes.  

"Rachel we have to go." He insisted. 

"Why are you here?" 

"Maybe not here Dick." I whispered seeing that now we were beginning to draw to much attention. But, I also didn't fail to notice the glances that Rachel kept making towards the green haired boy she was talking to. She was clearly embarrassed. "Rachel, we just want to get you somewhere safe."

The girl didn't say anything before making her way towards the exit of the arcade, leaving the three of us to follow her silently. Finally meeting Rachel, and seeing how young she was only emphasized why she shouldn't be in this situation. That she should be in school right now, being a normal teenage girl. Instead she was running away from people who killed her mother and were now trying to kill her. 

"Who is she?" Rachel asked as she looked me over with uncertainty. "Another one of your ex-girlfriends?" 

"Another?" I questioned, slightly amused at how direct this girl was. "To answer your question, no. I'm just a friend."

"Really?" She replied seeming skeptical, but regardless extended her hand towards me. "I'm Rachel."

"Cheyenne."