09| Inner Demons

***

Stepping out of the Porsche I wasn't sure if I believed what was right in front of. At first Kory's prophecies seemed ridiculous to me because Rachel was just a young girl. And although it was clear that she was powerful, I still hadn't managed to grasp just how much. Now the reality of it was like a slap in the face.

It seemed as if an explosive had gone off inside of the convent. Half of the building was now simple a pile of rubble as paramedic and police officers were frantically running around the scene attempt to help everyone that was still being rushed out of what was left of the building.

"She must've lost control." Dick muttered as he took in the scene infant of us. You could practically see his mind going to work in attempting to piece together what exactly happened while we all foolishly left Rachel on her own.

As I also attempted to piece together what could have happened I caught as glimpse of Mother Superior on the other side of the parking lot sitting in the back of the ambulance holding an oxygen mask to her face with shaking hands.

I absently hit Dick not he shoulder before rushing to the other side of the parking lot to the woman who Rachel seemed to have trusted. Knowing that both Kory and Dick were right behind me I didn't look back as I reached the nun.

"Where's Rachel?" I asked the Mother Superior as she held an oxygen mask to her face. Aware that I might have been slightly insensitive to her current situation I attempted to sound a little more comforting than I did only moments before. "Mother Superior, is she okay?"

"She left." The woman replied as she continued to hold the oxygen mask to her face. She seemed frantic, as if she still didn't completely understand what had just happened. "Ran."

Kory stepped forward, deciding to go with a less comforting approach. "What happened?"

"We just wanted to keep her here. Keep her safe, that's all. Where no one could hurt her and she couldn't hurt anyone." Mother superior muttered rapidly, and then froze in horror as she seemed to realize something. "There's no stopping it now."

"Stopping what?" Dick questioned, concern laced in his voice.

"There's no stopping it now." The woman repeated, looking at neither of us in the eyes. She seemed to have lost all sense of reason as she stared ahead with almost lifeless eyes. "Oh, God. God, forgive me. God, forgive us all."

A nearby paramedic noticing the nuns hysteria helped her to her feet taking her far away from the three of us. All we could do was stand there realizing the huge mistake we have all made.

"Why did you leave her here?" Kory asked us, her usual amused tone gone from her voice.

"In a convent full of nuns?" Dick replied sarcastically, clearly frustrated that he had once again lost Rachel. "Yeah, seemed real dangerous. You know, you're the one who stole my car and drove off."

"Yeah, I thought you could handle her for a few minutes, but I should've known better considering you ditched her in DC."

"No lo puedo creer." I muttered under my breath as I fought the urge to roll my eyes at how ridiculous these two were being.

Dick visibly tensed at her words, being aware of his own mistake. "I didn't mean to ditch her, okay? I was trying to..."

"You just couldn't handle her, so you left her with your friends. It's pathetic."