15| After Hours

***

Having  just finished my scheduled perimeter check of the motel I was ready to slip into something more comfortable than what I was wearing now. Before I made it to my room I heard as another door behind me creaked open, and as I turned around I was surprised to find Rachel's face peeking out into the hallway nervously.

"I was waiting for you to come back." Rachel stated awkwardly as she looked around the hallway, almost like she was afraid of anyone listening in.

"Clearly." I replied as I walked over to her door, realizing that whatever it was she needed to talk about seemed important. "Is everything okay?"

Rachel simply opened the door wider, although this whole interaction already seemed odd I didn't question her as I entered her room. In a second the door was closing behind me, as Rachel quickly moved to sit on her bed.

"Can I ask you a question?" Rachel asked me eagerly.

Taking a seat beside her my mind wandered through all the possibilities of what she wanted to ask, and then thought of the questions I had myself. "Okay. But you have to answer one of mine first."

"Alright."

"On the day we met, when you touched my hand you saw something. Didn't you?" I questioned, still not pleased with the idea of someone having gone through my memories or thoughts. "What did you see?"

Rachel looked down at her hands, seeming uncertain for a moment before she looked up at me confidently. "It was mostly like small moments in your life like your parents, sketches, you training and fighting, and some other things I would rather not say out loud."

"Okay!" I said a little louder than I expected, not wanting to go further into this conversation either. I didn't like the idea that my history with Dick seemed to be so obvious to people who were complete strangers to us. "I mean, you're too young to be seeing those things."

Rachel looked offended, but also probably pleased at herself for having gotten such a flustered reaction from me. "I'm fifteen I know what... well it's my turn to ask."

"Go ahead kid."

Rachel sighed, that confidence she had a moment before gone in and instant now replaced with a scared and uncertain girl. "When we were at the barn you said that I shouldn't be afraid of my powers because they were a part of me. Were you afraid? Of your powers I mean."

"You know the first time I learned about my powers I was eighteen and I almost killed myself. Of course I was afraid." I replied earning a chuckle from Rachel as she seemed to become more comfortable. Now I realized that she just wanted someone who she could relate too, and I wasn't sure I was exactly a good role model for this girl. "Oddly enough, it was Dick who helped me learn how to control them. And to have control you can't have fear, you need to be confident in yourself."

"How can I ever be as confident as you?" Rachel questioned, as she looked down at her hands. "Your beautiful."

Placing a finger under her chin I lifted her face to toward me. "Trust me your beautiful too. Believe it or not beauty isn't everything. Anyways, I wasn't always confident in fact you have more confidence at fifteen than I ever had when I was eighteen."

"I know I looked into your memories remember?"

I felt a small smile tugging at my lips as I stood from the bed. "Then you know how long it took me to accept my powers. But when I did I become a force to be reckoned with. And you will too."