(3)A Grand Garden Affair

So I know I'm not supposed to update until I'm technically totally done with book 5, but I honestly couldn't help myself.

A quick update on the book- I am busy with chapter 16, which is unfortunately still a long way away from the end. I'm trying my best to write, but my work does come first so please be patient with me. Although, you all know by now that it's in progress, so don't worry. I haven't pulled an Erebus and disappeared just yet...

Enjoy chapter 3 and let me know your thoughts! 

*Lovely mood music to set the tone.

A Grand Garden Affair

It was the day of the ball and everyone was scurrying around like mice.

Persephone and I sat on the highest balcony overlooking the small, training arena. The queen of the southern lands nestled a fresh brew of coffee in her gloved hands. "I'll never understand why they enjoy being covered in mud and dirt like this..."

I chuckled as we watched our children spar. My eyes followed Theia's movements. She was more agile than Malreus, but he was no doubt stronger. He pulled his sword back and made a dive for her feet, but Theia saw his tactical thinking and jumped up, throwing herself back. She made a back-flip and landed gracefully across from him, her sword at her side.

"Nice try." She giggled and Malreus' eyes slanted with annoyance, but he couldn't stop his smile from erupting.

He said nothing in reply and instead, focused on trying to let Theia lower her guard enough for him to slip a hit through her defence.

I could tell the two young ones were slightly more nervous than usual. Their fathers were watching, after all...

Thanatos whispered something to Hades. The two large, darkly dressed kings stood next to the arena, their eyes watching the fight like hawks. They were looking for any sign of weaknesses.

Persephone and I, however, weren't taking this little practise run too seriously. I beckoned a servant over with my finger. "Bring us some white wine, dear."

The servant bowed and quickly left to go do my bidding. Persephone disregarded her coffee on the table and shot me a sly look; "Aurora; drinking in the morning? What in Chaos' name has happened?"

"I'm parched and frankly, this whole week has had me riled up. I think it's about time we started celebrating Apollo's little ball."

"Ugh..." She smiled broadly and shook her head. My old friend grabbed my hand with delight; "Have I told you that I love you?"

"Not enough." I winked and gestured with my free hand at our husbands, sitting just below us. "Don't let them see. Thanatos will have a fit."

"And Hades will think I've gone mad." Persephone giggled loudly; "Or that I'm turning into Dionysus."