(10)The Turquoise Echo

In celebration of the Dawn saga's new covers, here is the next chapter!

Thank you so much l3sbianaf for my new covers! They are stunning! Everyone should check out Asher's work on her profile; she's so talented and puts her heart and soul into each and every one of her designs! 

The Turquoise Echo

"When you said you know of someone who'll bring all of this into perspective, I didn't think you meant the perspective of the dead."

I rolled my eyes at my husband's tone of voice and pinched the back of his hand. "Are you here to listen and keep an open-mind or do you want to go home and sulk?"

"Home and sulk, thank you." Thanatos turned around without a second beat, but a voice from a few metres away loudly exclaimed; "Well, well, well... If it isn't my favourite death deity."

Thanatos back to the front and loudly shushed the old wizard with a finger to his lips. "Keep quiet, you old fool!"

Conrad chuckled evilly and held up his pale hand to signal to Thanatos that he'd stop his antics. "Yes, yes."

It was odd for Thanatos wanting people to refrain from using his name in normal situations, but here- in the great Elysian Fields- Thanatos wasn't a very popular name. many heroic lives have been cut short over the past seven thousand years because Thanatos had to step in and end things- for better or for worse. Life was life and death was, well...

Death was currently pouting.

"So you honestly think Conrad is going to help me deal with this horrible decision our children have made?"

Conrad opened his mouth with a big 'ah' as he neared us. "So this isn't just a friendly visit, I take it?"

I took the old man's hand in mine and sighed sadly; "I'm afraid not, no."

"And I take it Theia followed her heart instead of her head?"

"Yes." Thanatos grumbled angrily and glared at the horizon, as if his daughter was standing there waving innocently and her face guilt-ridden. "I don't understand that girl." He said rather loudly; "I thought we'd raised her to be logical about things. Who on earth advised her that this was a good idea?"

I shrugged, but Conrad's face paled a bit. He cleared his throat and rubbed his naked chin- the old man had shaved, miraculously, or had it shaven, I should say. The Elysian Fields had hundreds of servants for every purpose, no matter how peculiar or small. "Yes, it is odd, isn't it, but don't you think it's for the best?"

"And pray tell why in the darkest pits of Tartarus would this be for the best?" Thanatos questioned Conrad with a lifted brow. Sometimes, in the broad daylight, he really didn't look much older than he did a couple hundred years ago.