(12)Dance of the Green Graces

Dance of the Green Graces

"If we're going to be ready by the twentieth of this month, we all need to move a little faster than this."

Simos had his hands on his hips and he was watching Asclepius and Claudeus lazily pack the rest of their things into their bags. We were all awake by now and the sun was just above the horizon. The heat of the jungle had returned with a great force and I could swear that it was twice as hot and humid as it had been the day before.

"If you want speed and enthusiasm, these two aren't exactly your best bet." Casseus said teasingly and ducked when his twin threw a sock at his face. Claudeus broodingly replied; "We still have four days to get to Mania and worm our way into the circle- relax."

Simos growled, but said nothing- he just turned around with a huff and ran a hand through his thick, black hair. He was frustrated, clearly, but I suspect his annoyance wasn't only brewing because of the group's lack of time-management skills.

This morning, I'd woken up at dawn. I usually did; my internal alarm clock had never allowed me to sleep longer than that. I'd sort of expected last night's incident with Malreus and Simos to just be a dream born from my thirsty imagination, but alas...

I woke up in nearly exactly the same position. Malreus still had his one arm around my body and Simos was holding my hand, his face resting near my shoulder, breathing his hot air onto my skin. It wasn't an unpleasant way to wake up, but that wasn't what bothered me- I felt uncomfortable.

For one, Malreus was my friend. Yes, we were loving towards one another, but the older we'd grown, the less appropriate it was for us to share a bed anymore. It was fine when we were children, but now...

And I barely knew Simos. I felt a little trapped- I was trapped.

Carefully, I'd attempted to untangle and remove myself from this weird situation, but naturally, my luck wasn't the best. I think I spent far too much time with Narray- she's jinxed me.

Malreus and Simos woke as if right on cue and they both looked up at me as I attempted to stand up. I froze.

Luckily, their eyes were still half-shut and full of sleep, but it didn't really help to ease my embarrassment. I smiled and sat very still; "Morning."

Simos smirked when he realised how close he'd moved to me in the middle of the night. He rested his head on his hand and chuckled lowly; "I think I was the one who got a little cold last night. Guess I needed some hot Tea."

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Malreus' dry tone fit far too well with his husky voice this early in the morning. He was a night owl and hated rising earlier than necessary- the only time he made any sort of sacrifice to get up at dawn was to go sailing. "You barely know her- back off." Malreus sat up straight and pulled me into him, his glaring stare dropping to icy levels.

Simos narrowed his eyes and matched Malreus' irritated stare with one of his own. I felt like smacking them both- to ease my own suffering. I hated arguing; I hated being the middle of an argument even more.

The young man just looked at Malreus' arms around my waist and then shrugged, as if it meant nothing anyway. He stood up from the bed; "I'm going for a dip." Simos didn't wait for a response; he walked towards the lake and started removing his shirt. I cast my eyes down and tried to get to my feet too, but Malreus was still holding me.

"Did he try anything last night?"

He sounded so concerned and worried. I smiled and turned my head to look up at him; "No, no. He's not like that; I'm sure."