(36)Emerald Heartstrings

I highly recommend listening to this song when you read this chapter.

Enjoy Xx

Emerald Heartstrings

The birds were singing in the trees and the sun's warmth reflected off the pages of the old book.

I sat in the outer gardens of our palace, reading a novel my father had once recommended. The sky was a bright blue and there were clouds on the horizon, bubbling up slowly. It called for rain tomorrow. Perhaps Malreus and I would go sailing in the morning? The waters were always so calm before a storm...

I tucked my one leg up onto the wooden bench and placed the book against my knee. My green dress swayed in the light breeze and I turned my head to stare out at the vast lake. It really did feel like you were watching the ocean as the waves parted on the banks. My blonde hair flew past my cheek and I tucked a few strands back behind my ear.

"Making some progress?"

A smile spread across my mouth as I looked up at the familiar voice. Malreus was dressed down in a white shirt and black pants. He'd gone sailing, no doubt. "Hello."

Mal smiled broadly and sat beside me on the bench. His eyes darted to the back to spot if someone was looking. When he was satisfied that we were well alone, he leaned in and stole a deep kiss. "How are you today?"

I smiled sadly and nodded. "I'm alright. Feeling a bit hollow, I must admit..."

His eyes grew worried; "It'll pass."

I nodded and stroked the beige page with my thumb. My eyes were wandering along the words, but not bothering to take them in.

A month had passed since Mania.

A month had passed since I'd killed Erebus.

After everything that had happened in that cave, after all that pain and heartache I'd experienced in the span of a few minutes, I'd passed out. By the time my mother had successfully transferred Nyx's immortality and healing ability to my father using the same method that the powered Kerykeion once did, I was unconscious.

Simos had called for help; he'd first thought I'd almost died from my wounds, but my brothers soon reassured him that it would take a bit more to knock me off.

The boys and Malreus had carried my father's unconscious body through the portal, while Simos was allowed to take me home to the palace through one of my mother's portals. She didn't exactly know him, but she knew she could trust him.

My mother spent a few minutes with Nyx. Nyx's tired and old body didn't last very long after her energy was taken. The twins told me that mother had spoken with Nyx before the goddess had breathed her last words. They're unsure as to what the two goddesses had said to one another, but mother had apparently appeared desolate when she'd returned from Mania.