(26)The Jaded Heart

Happy New year, everyone! Xx

The Jaded Heart

Malreus' POV

"You're safe!" Simos' chest fell and his shoulders tensed when Xon threw her arms over him and hugged the tall man against her. His mother had tears in her eyes, but her expression quickly shifted to one of anger when he didn't react to her great display of worry. "What are you thinking doing this? Do you want to hurt me? Huh?"

"I want justice." Simos snarled at her and refused to wrap his own hands around her thin form. "For all of them."

"You won't get justice if you're dead, Simos." Xon scoffed at him and squeezed his waist, urging him to react to her. "Don't go into the Labyrinth. Don't."

Simos didn't reply to her. He simply removed her arms from his waist and stepped back. The young man avoided all the eyes fixed on him. Manos remained quiet as he watched his wife and nephew speak; no doubt not wanting to get involved. Too bad he was already heavily entangled in this affair.

I stood with my back to the door and my eyes watching the scene unfold across from me. I was no longer in the mood for these mortal dramas- not that I had been from the start, but now, after our scrap in the jungle, I was less inclined to be compassionate.

I wanted to grab Theia and the rest of the gang and leave. These mortals deserved their own sorrow and pain...

"Listen to me, Simos." Xon's tone turned into a bite. She barked at him like an angry wolf; "You will not go into that Labyrinth. I cannot protect you from there. It will be your end!"

"Then so be it!" Simos yelled at her. Their faces were inches apart and their nostrils flaring with fury. "What does it even matter to you? You gave up the rest of your children? Why would you even shed a tear for me, mother?"

Xon's eyes widened and I saw the white of her palm before the slap sounded through the room. "Do you think I had the choice!" She screamed at him while Simos lifted a hand to touch his red cheek.

He stared at her with wide eyes, but quickly his anger returned tenfold. "I hate you." He muttered and turned to leave.

The guards tried to hold him back, but Manos dismissed them and mumbled; "Take him back to the compound."

Simos pushed himself through the gap between the guards, knocking them aside and left me alone with the king and queen. Xon's eyes landed on me and she was furious. "You had better keep them both safe, boy." She snapped at me and I was slightly surprised by her temper. "If anything happens to them..." She stopped herself.

Manos moved to calm her down, but she slapped him away and retreated towards the adjoining room. She slammed the doors behind her and the small courtyard was thrown into an awkward silence.

What had she meant by 'both'? Did she feel some sort of concern for Theia? If so, why? Xon barely knew Theia.

I glanced at Manos. He was deep in thought.