(11)Setting the Sage

The Dawn Saga now has its own official Instagram page! Feel free to follow at @thedawnseries

Setting the Sage

Setting the Sage

Simos watched our faces with more seriousness than I'd ever seen him use in this short time that I'd known him.

"Now listen to me and listen very carefully. I have a plan for all of us, but I need you all to stick to it no matter what happens."

Everyone was seated around the campfire. The night air was cooler and the breeze rustled the leaves, sending a few falling down to the ground. The stars were bright and beaming and our faces were lit up by the crackling fire; bathed in a warm glow.

We all nodded quickly. Casseus looked around the circle and suggested; "Perhaps let's start at the beginning again? I think Triton was half asleep when I told him what was going on."

"Hey!" Triton replied with a glare, but Simos wasn't in the mood for any antics tonight; which is odd, considering he really liked injecting humour into every little thing.

"Oy!" He shouted and everyone turned their attention back him; "I said listen. Gods." He grumbled under his breath and nodded quickly before Triton could defend himself; "I'll start from the beginning; just to make sure everyone is on the same page."

I was seated on his side and Malreus sat next to me. Along the other side of the campfire sat Narray and Asclepius. Morpheus and the twins sat to Simos' right and Triton sat across from Simos, so we formed a perfect square.

"So let's start with Manos." Simos' voice grew lower; "About ten years ago, he rose to power and took over the island of Mania. Now I know most of you probably know where it is, but seeing as Theia has told me before that the gods aren't very involved in earthly affairs, I can assume you know very little of what the island represents."

"Correct." Claudeus replied coolly, his blue eyes slanted and his face seemingly disinterested. "Although, I do remember reading that Mania has always been a mineral rich island."

"Exactly why Mania, for the past twenty years or so, has only been open to the exceedingly wealthy." Simos stated, his eyes moving from my face to around the circle to look at the others; "You can't enter Mania without either being extremely rich or extremely unlucky." He shrugged and explained; "Either you're a spectator, home-owner or investor in Mania or you're taken over as a servant for the wealthy. And if you're really unlucky, as a sacrifice in Manos' deadly games."