Epilogue

Epilogue

"So you followed your heart?"

Malreus glanced at my from the side and smiled coyly at Conrad's words. His warm hand reached for mine.

The old wizard sat comfortably underneath the tall Cypress tree; the breeze blowing softly through the leaves and sending the faint scent of sweet spring into the air. The flowers in Elysium were in a state of perpetual bloom; vibrant, fragrant and stunningly beautiful.

The three of us were seated at the marble table Conrad usually used for playing chess in the beautifully sunny afternoons. Now, the gold and silver chess board and pieces were placed to the side of the long table, forgotten for the day.

Conrad folded his hands on the table and eyed me with a knowing grin. "I'm proud of you."

"Even if I'd accidently gotten you into a bit of trouble with my father?" I chuckled and squeezed Malreus' hand underneath the table.

"Oh, that's long forgotten now." Conrad laughed and shook his head; the memory an amusing one for reasons I didn't know, but I'm sure were grounded. "How is he doing?" The mage's grey eyes grew solemn as he directed his attention to my father's state of health.

It's been two months now and my father was healing slowly, but healing, nonetheless. That's all we could pray for.

"It's taking some time, but he's getting there. Slowly."

"And no doubt making everyone's life hell while doing so?" Conrad asked with a wide grin.

"Oh, did you expect anything else?" I laughed loudly and Malreus chuckled, adding on; "Uncle Thanatos has gotten into the habit of pranking the servants now."

"Pranking?" Conrad raised a curious brow in response. "What on earth?"

"He's so bored with himself. And he's not allowed to work- much to his dismay and horror- so now he's gotten a few new hobbies that don't involve too much physical activity."

"But pranking?" Conrad leaned back with an even wider smile; he was enjoying this so much. "How utterly juvenile of him."

"I don't know..." I sighed dramatically and winked; "I think the twins are a bad influence on him. You know how they are..."

Conrad laughed loudly, sending a flock of pigeons into cardiac arrest. "Oh, hilarious!"

"Mother's not too happy about it either, but it's better than his other hobbies, which include writing her lewd letters, trying to teach aunt Nema to cook, learning the intricate art of paper folding and- am I missing something?" I glanced at Malreus with a smile.

He smirked and nodded his head; "You forgot about the songs he's composed about all the ways in which he could go back to work, which aren't really so much as convincing Hypnos and your mother to let him get out of bed, but actually making them consider locking his room for the next few weeks."