(6)The Grass isn't that Green

"This is madness. He's lying." Narray whispered angrily as we rammed onto the palace grounds, our boots hitting the marble stone with force.

"Why would he?" I shook my head; "He has no reason to make all of this up. Did you see what I saw?" I turned to both of them, halting their steps with my hands against their chests. "That raw anger and determination. He's lost someone close to him. This is real. I think it is."

"Theia," Narray sighed and shook her head; "You know I love you, but sometimes you let people take advantage of your good will. You're too kind."

"There's no such thing." I scoffed and held her back from walking away. "Are you telling me you're just going to let this go?"

Narray stopped in her tracks and looked down at the ground. I saw worry in her eyes; a smidge of fear shined through too. She was scared to stand up to her father and mine. "Theia, this shit is beyond us. Beyond what we have control over. You know that." She lifted her head to Malreus; "Tell her."

Malreus was quiet as he stared at me. I searched his eyes with desperation for support. I sensed a crack forming in his hard resolve and he sighed deeply, filling the night air with his lament.

"Theia..." He shook his head a time, but I think it was meant more for himself. "Are you sure about this?"

"What?" Narray hissed at him; "You're the responsible one and now you're buying into this? Malreus?" She lifted up her shoulders as if to ask what her old friend was thinking.

He didn't really have a calculated answer and instead, just gestured to the palace doors. "It's been a long day. Let's get to bed."

Narray gave up her easily and turned with a shake of her head towards the doors. Malreus passed me with a sorry expression, but I was staring down at the ground- thinking.

"I'm going to ask him." I said with determination. I knew they knew I meant my father- the god of death. "In the morning; I am discussing this with him."

Narray said nothing at first and continued walking, but then, right before she turned the corner to her room, she muttered; "Okay. Let me know."

I knew I could count on her. Narray was fearful of disappointing those she held in high regard, but she was also a kind-hearted woman. If people were dying in hoards- we needed to step up and stop this brutality.

My eyes found Malreus. He was watching me with a strange look in his eye. "Goodnight."

I nodded in reply and watched as he turned to head inside. His dark cloak grazed the floor and his black silhouette disappeared behind the large potted palms.

The palace grounds were quiet; the night's festivities done and dusted.

I withdrew back into the gardens to think and ponder my words for the following dawn. Convincing my parents to allow me to go was going to be hardest thing I'd ever had to do.

But do it, I would.

One way or another, we gods could no longer be absent to the horrors around us, while we sipped Nectar amongst the stars...