(37)The Pine Jackal

The Pine Jackal

"Theia!" Narray threw up her arms above her head and smiled broadly.

"What did I say about doing that?" Triton scolded Narray from his seat beside her bed. In his hands, he held a type of newspaper that was sent out every morning in the Underworld, Olympus and on earth.

I giggled as I walked into the bright, airy room where Narray was boarding for the duration of her healing process. "Well, hello Ray of sunshine!" I walked over to her side and leaned down to place a kiss on her forehead.

"Thank gods you're here." She said with an exasperated voice. "This man is killing me with his talking. Please take him outside-"

"Oh, whatever." Triton grumbled and adjusted the newspaper in his hands; angrily straightening it.

Narray and I giggled under our breath. I pulled up a chair and sat down beside her; "How are you feeling today?"

"Better, thank you." She smiled and tried to sit up straight, but Triton jumped up like she was about to attempt a summersault. "Whoa!"

"Oh, get off it, Triton!" She shouted at him and shooed him away with her hand. "You're way too worried."

"And you're far too relaxed about this. You'll rip open the stitches again."

"Ah, young love..." I said with a big smile and a clap of my hands. The two glared at me from the side and then continued to argue. I sat back in my chair and blew a strand of hair from my face.

A distraction from all the loud yelling walked in, carrying a rather long syringe. "Alright. Let's try this again..." Ash said as he lifted the needle into the light.

Narray's eyes grew double their size and Triton sighed lamely. "Ash, I thought we agreed that we'd keep the medicine for later."

"It's later." Asclepius said dryly and gestured for Narray to extend her arm, but she refused.

"No."

"Come on, Ray."

"What is that?" I asked no one in particular. Asclepius smiled as he answered; "It's a herb blend that allows demi-gods to ingest some ambrosia for healing."

"Sounds fun." I replied and Narray shot me a look.

Asclepius shot Triton a look, until finally, the sea prince nodded and gently grabbed Narray's arm. "Come on, Ray. Let's get this over with. It's good for you."

"I hate needles!" Narray whined like a child as Triton squeezed her hand tightly. She grabbed onto his waist as Ash lifted her sleeve and pressed her soft skin, looking for a vein.

I pursed my lips and inhaled as he pierced her skin with the sharp needle. A few seconds later, the needle was out and Ash was rubbing the spot with his glove-covered thumb. "There. As easy as that. Now let me know if you start experiencing any weird hallucinations."

Triton and Narray's eyes widened with shock; "What?"

"Relax." Ash winked at me and walked towards the door. "It was a joke."

"Hilarious, Ash!" Narray grumbled and rubbed the spot where the needle had pricked her.

Asclepius bowed and opened the door. He looked at me with worried eyes; "You okay?"

I nodded with a smile. I was more than used to being asked that same question over and over for the last month. It was something I'd gotten used to; "I'm okay."

"Good. Let me know if you guys are still on for our wine night?" He looked around the room and Triton and I nodded. Narray nodded too, but Triton quickly glared at her from the side. "No wine for you."