(34)Of Sages and Songs to Slaughter

Of Sages and Songs to Slaughter

Previously...

Erebus took the spear and with a loud snarl and grunt, pulled it out from his stomach. Blood dripped onto the floor and the Wolf's eyes latched onto Simos. It's voice was something horrific- something I never wanted to hear ever again. "Half-breed. Why don't you be my first meal for the day?"

Simos gulped; "Gods, it's even uglier than I thought..."

"Erebus!" Casseus threw his dagger at the giant Wolf to catch his attention. It definitely worked, because the knife embedded itself in his muscular upper leg.

Erebus snarled and looked up to meet his grandson's charming smile, but instead, Claudeus stepped in front of Casseus and held up the Aegis.

Theia's POV

It felt like a bomb had exploded in the vast chamber; a bomb that engulfed all of us in the debris.

The back of the legendary Aegis blocked my vision as my brother lifted it up in the air; aiming it directly at the dark Wolf. A hand grabbed my shoulder to pull me back, but everything had moved so fast that I never saw who had tried to haul me to safety.

The black mass of energy was far quicker than my eye could even grasp, but I knew for a fact that it had hit the golden shield from my brother's hands at a terrifying speed. The Aegis flew across the chamber and the look upon Claudeus' face was unparalleled in astonishment- he did not calculate this happening. Nowhere in his plan did he list this as a likely occurrence.

Casseus was far better at acting from instinct. He grabbed his twin by the waist and pulled him back with him as he dove for cover behind a boulder. From my peripheral vision I saw my father dive for my mother. Logically guessing, the hand on my shoulder was most probably Malreus' and therefore, my father had targeted my mother. He shielded her from the black mass, just as her own force-field lifted up around us all. Simos was close enough that he had been enclosed in the protective bubble along with us.

This all happened seemingly at once.

The Aegis hit the stone floor with a loud clang and it was like time sped up again; pieces falling back into the same loop as before.

Nyx's hands were held high and the look upon her face was riddled with fear. The black smoke that flew up around her matched the black mass. It disappeared as she shouted; "You can't kill him!" Her yellow eyes were wide and frightened. "I will not let you!"

"You stole the Aegis?" My father yelled at the twins, but my mother's harsh hiss ended any further argument on the subject; "Thanatos!" With her fingers, she directed his head to the front . "Look!"

Our eyes darted to where the Wolf was standing and the remaining breath in my throat hitched.

Erebus' had slowly turned to stone from his feet up to just below his waist. He lifted his claws up into the sky and howled like a demon- it spread chills up my spine.