A Broken Friendship (Sage's POV)

I stood in a dress store with my mother.

I had tried on approximately fifteen dresses already so far, but nothing was really giving me that "wow" factor.

"I hate this." Skyler groaned to me as we made our way back to the dressing room we shared.

Our mothers thought it would be a good idea to go dress shopping together, and I wasn't against it at all, although Skyler seemed to be having less than an enjoyable experience.

"Oh come on," I rolled my eyes. "It's not all bad."

"Maybe for you," She scoffed. "I'd be happy wearing something, y'know, less feminine."

"But you're a girl and it's prom." I giggled. "What else would you wear? A suit? That's what the guys are supposed to wear."

She fell silent.

"Speaking of, what guy are you going with?" I asked. "Tate mentioned that you were already thinking about going with someone, but you hadn't told me anything of it."

"Uh, yeah." She nodded, suddenly becoming awkward.

I could tell there was something she wasn't telling me. I didn't know what it could be, but I wanted her to know that she could tell me anything.

"Hey.." I placed a hand on her shoulder, stopping her outside the dressing room. "Is something wrong?" I asked.

"No." She brushed me off, entering the room.

I followed closely behind her.

"I can tell you're lying, Skyler." I stated, shutting the door behind me. "You can tell me whatever it is."

"I know." She brushed me off again, struggling to get the dress off over her head.

"Then what is it?" I asked again, helping to pull the dress off over her head. "Is your date some really nerdy guy or something?"

She didn't respond.

"Its.. It's not Matty.. Is it?" I asked hesitantly.

"God no!" She said in disgust, offended that I would even suggest such a thing to her. "I wouldn't even talk to that guy after what he did to you, let alone go to prom with him."

"Okay, then who?"

"Would you stop asking?"

"No." I answered simply as I stepped out of the dress I was wearing.

"You don't know them. They don't go to our school." She answered, obviously annoyed as she began hanging the dress back up on its hanger.

"Okay, so then how did you meet this person?" I asked, becoming more curious.

"While visiting my dad." She answered simply, beginning the process of pulling her jeans up over her legs.

"What's their name?" I asked, practically begging for more details.

"Doesn't matter." She shook her head, slipping her converse on.

"It matters to me, Skyler! Why can't you tell me who this guy is?"

"Because, Sage!" She snapped, sighing afterwards. "This really isn't the place to have this conversation."

I watched as she put her black t-shirt over her head. It looked like it was from the men's department, long and baggy on her.

"Why not?" I pushed as she threw her beautiful long blonde hair up into a ponytail.

"Just tell me who this guy is, Skyler! What's so complicated about that?!" I asked desperately.

"It's not a boy, Sage!" She snapped, her voice carrying throughout the dressing rooms.

"What?" I wrinkled my nose in confusion.

"I'm not going to prom with a boy!" She yelled, "I'm going to prom with a girl, my girlfriend!"

I sat in silence, shocked.

"I'm a lesbian okay?!" She yelled. "There! Are you happy now?!"

"Skyler, I-" I began to try and apologize but she cut me off.

"Save it." She muttered under her breath, opening the door to be face to face with both of our mothers who shared a shocked look.

"Skyler.. Sweetie I-" Her mother tried to speak.

Skyler pushed past her, not wanting to hear what she had to say.

I was left standing in the dressing room, the door falling shut as I heard her mother begin chasing after her out of the store.

Why hadn't she told me this before? Skyler was my best friend... Was she afraid that I would judge her? I would never ever judge her...

"Bug..?" My mother knocked softly on the door.

I didn't respond. I was in too much shock to respond. I couldn't comprehend what had just happened. Why Skyler hadn't told me about this.. About something so important to her.

"Hey, bug." My mother greeted, opening the door.

I looked at her with tears in my eyes.

She sighed, entering with open arms. "I'm sorry, bug." She said, pulling me into her chest.

"Did I just ruin her life?" I asked my mother.

"No, bug." She answered. "I'm sure her mother was just taken off guard, and I'm sure she just wasn't sure how to tell you... you didn't ruin her life.."

It sure felt like it.

Maybe I didn't ruin her life. But I was sure more than anything that I had probably ruined our entire friendship...