Chapter forty

Steve
After a very good dinner and desert we headed upstairs to her room. She had bridal stuff everywhere on the bed with a pen in her mouth and her hair in a bun. She looked beautiful.

I just took a shower and had a fluffy white robe on. I just looked at her.

"There's so much to do in order to have a summer wedding"

"We'll get it done I promise doll".

"I just want everything to go right".

"It will".

I lay on the bed next to her and she smiles. She gets up and twirls.

"Imagine me in a dress".

"You will be so beautiful doll"

"You think so?"

"I know so".

"You are so amazing Steve".

"I think you are doll".

"I think you need to put some clothes on. You're distracting me and I need your thoughts".

"Well my thoughts involve distracting you even more".

"Oh really now?"

Then we hear a scream. I throw some clothes on and we run downstairs to the screaming.

Athena's mom was standing and her dad has his eyes closed. I tried to grab Athena but it was too late she knew her dad was dead.

"No he can't be dead. No, no."

I held her close to me on the floor as the first responders took him to the hospital. Her mom went with them. I held Athena as she cried in my arms. I hugged her so tight remembering losing my parents so so so many years ago.

"Let's go to the hospital so we can be there for her".

"Okay".

We took her mom's car to the hospital and we walked in and her mom was in the waiting room, crying and filling out paperwork.

"Mom I'll fill the rest out go be with dad", said Athena.

I sat beside her and wrapped an arm around her as she was writing.

"I'm going to talk to your mother I will be back doll".

I get up and walk into the room.

"Hi, I know this isn't a good time but I lost my parents when I was young. My dad died in action and then my mother at 16.".

"You must feel so out of place here dear".

"I did, hell I still do sometimes but your daughter makes it all worth it".

"When Athena first told me about her job I was happy for her. She's a brilliant girl but I saw what happened in New York and I was terrified. When  she told me about you she was over the moon, I knew she was in love and me and her father knew you would take care of her and then we saw her on the tv about getting married and becoming an Avenger, we were so proud and we were proud of you too. You take such good care of our daughter. Tim knew that after everything she had went through you were right for her. I guess he died happy though seeing his daughter happy and in love".

"I'll take care of her no matter what".

"I know Steve I know".