Prologue

• Dedicated to Alyssa Nicole Gilbert

"Keep your head above water, you're starting to drift away... There's no saving me." -Jackie Barrett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rae!" I hear Megan call from somewhere far away.

I look around, and all I See is darkness, nothing around. All of a sudden a basketball comes out and hits me in the face.

"What the hell?!" I scream, and clutch my face, "Where the hell did that come from?!"

"Rae!" I hear Megan call again.

Still clutching my face, I shout out, "Where the hell are you?!"

All of a sudden an annoying ring starts sounding, and basketballs start coming at me from all angles.

"Rae!" Megan shouts over the ringing.

"I don't understand!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Wake up!" she screams back.

"Wake up?" I mumble to myself.

I open my eyes to a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes looking straight down at me, "Wake up!" She screams at me.

I roll over in my sleeping bag, "I don't wanna."

"Your mom has been calling me nonstop. She's left like 20 messages." She rolls her eyes and removes her face from my immediate vision.

I sit up in my sleeping bag, "Did you listen to any of them?"

"Uh," she gives me a dumb look, "That takes work."

"Wow, Meg, you've really hit the top notch on lazy this time."

She shrugs, and ass if on cue, her phone starts to ring, "Surprise, it's your mother. Again."

I grab her phone out of her hand with a dirty look, and press, "Answer"

"Hello?" I answer, while throwing a stuffed animal back at Megan from the pile surrounding me.

"I hope you're happy! You've ruined my entire life!" She shouts through the phone at me.

As always; my overdramatic mother blaming me for yet another mistake she's made "Mom, I'm not the one who's ruined your life. You are." I hit myself in the head with one of Megan's stuffed animals repeatedly.

"This is exactly what you've always wanted, isn't it? You've always wanted to make my life a living hell. You're evil! You're doing this because... Because..." She pauses, thinking, "You hate me! That's what it is! You hate me!"

"Mom stop it."

"No! You got what you wanted you terrible little girl! You've finally got what you wanted!"

I look to Megan with anger and tears in my eyes. She shakes her head and mouths, "It's not your fault"

"Stop making this out to be my fault."

"It is your fault! This is all your fault!" She screams.

I look at Megan and she makes a fist and mouths "Be strong!"

"Mom, just stop!"

For a second she's quiet until I hear her very quietly say, "You want to know what else is your fault?"

"What's that?" I reply back nastily.

On the other end of the phone I hear a gun explode.

All color drains from my face.