Well.. That escalated quickly.

"There is no way that you're ever going to see him again," He looks point blank at me, "Zacc is a terrible influence."

My brother--Lucas-- starts punching in numbers on his iPhone, "Lucas, what are you doing?" I'm about to lose it, he can't just do this, he can't just take all of my friends away from me.

"I'm calling Zacc, I'm going to scare that little asshole away from you!"

Losing my cool I scream back, "You can't! He's my friend!"

"So what Rae? He's not even really your friend! He's a guy who wanted to take advantage of you!"

"He offered me a place to stay when I couldn't go anywhere else!"

Lucas stops, "Why couldn't you go anywhere, Rae?"

"Lucas I--"

"No Rae, why were you stranded?" Lucas's intense blue eyes stare into mine, waiting for an answer... This was it... This was when I had to tell him what he didn't want to hear.

"The little bitch was drunk." I hear somebody say from behind me. Mom? No... She was gone. SHE HAD TO BE GONE.

I turn around to see my mother leaning against the cabinets in the kitchen, her clean cut appearence, perfect smile, perfect eyes, perfect wardrobe that fit her so... Well, perfectly.

"No, Rae would never do something like that." Lucas widens his eyes at my mother.

"But wouldn't you, Rae?" She smiles down at me, "You and your little 'pay attention to me' attitude?"

My mother is a cruel cruel woman. "Mom, stop it."

"Mom stop it." she mimics my voice.

"You really were, weren't you?" Lucas's voice drops.

I look down at the ground and nod... I knew it.

"Look, she's so ashamed she can't even admit it!" My mother cackles.

I bring my teary eyes to my mother, "Why are you so hateful?"

My mother's stone cold face is brought just inches in front of my face, "Because if Lucas was the only one around, your father would still be here."

I look to Lucas for support but he just shakes his head, "I've never done anything wrong Rae, you should know better that to get drunk and stay with a boy." He spits out the word like it's disgusting.

"You're lucky we don't just kick you out." My mother backs away from me.

"You're lucky that we still allow you to have any contact with the outside world." Lucas joins.

"You're lucky we do anything for you."

"We should call the school and tell them what you've done." Lucas's voice gets louder, and he takes a step towards me.

My mother follows suit, "We should call all of your friend's parents and tell them what a bad influence you are."

Soon they're standing over me spitballing ideas like it's nothing. Ways to get rid of me, ways to embarrass me, ways to make me feel worse about myself, more than I already am.

I put my hands over my ears and shut my eyes to drown out their shouting.

"What else don't we know about, Rae?" One asks.

"Yeah Rae, what else have you done?"

"What else did you do, Rae?

"What did you do?"

"What else did you do?"

"Well Rae, what did you do?!"

"I LIED!" I shout as loud as I can. I open my eyes to look at my brother and Mother, but they're gone. All that's around is a checkers board on the floor, blank walls, and dressers lined up against against the room.

I'm no longer in our kitchen, getting screamed at by my know-it-all brother and perfect mother.

In a second everything rushes to my mind, and I remember how I got here, I remember why I'm here, what my mother did, that night at Zacc's, the day of Lucas's acc--

"Seriously Rae, why do you keep waking me up with your screaming? It's getting annoying." Kahale says from my doorframe, "If I fall asleep in any of my college classes tomorrow, I will wring your neck."

Tiredly I say back, "You do that anyway."

"So? Just more of a reason for me to wring your neck." He shuts my door and I hear his footsteps retreat back to his room.

These memories need to leave. And soon.

----------------------------------

Please comment vote and share with your friends :)