Lucas: The First Noel

"Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful."
- Norman Vincent Peale

The routine at the ranch had become so predictable Lucas was surprised to see the staff putting up Christmas decorations one day. It was two weeks until the twenty-fifth, and he hadn't prepared gifts for anyone or even thought about the holiday. He had to have something for Nora and Gus, at least. Maybe a card for Jeff too. It would have been easy to go out and buy something, but they weren't allowed to step foot off the property. Store bought presents were forbidden anyway. Anything from the outside might be stuffed with contraband from sympathetic friends and family.

Reluctantly, Lucas realized he would have to make something. He had learned basic sewing in elementary school, but he signed up for a crash course at the ranch. The class was optional and added to the end of the school schedule for anyone who wanted to take part. It was specifically designed for making Christmas presents and would only be open until Christmas Eve. There he learned how to make small stuffed animals, scarves and blankets. Giving Gus a stuffed animal would be weird, but Nora would love it. He made her a fist-sized bunny he'd assembled from cast off fuzzy material from the craft bin. Since he didn't know how to sew very well, its shape resembled that of a fat hamster more than a rabbit, but she would at least pretend to love it.

For Gus, he used the sewing machine to create a simple fleece blanket with fringe on the sides. One side of the blanket was red and the other was blue with a faint pattern of stars, Gus's favorite colors.

"Put my name on it too. I don't have anything for Gus," Nora whispered to him in Group the next day.

Lucas nodded. "I was already gonna say it was from both of us. Can I say you did the sewing? It kinda sucks."

Nora made a face. "So I get to take credit for your shitty sewing?"

"That's not how I meant it."

"There's no other way to mean it. I'm not bailing you out, baby. Plus, unlike you I can actually sew pretty decently. It would be obvious I was lying."

"Fine," Lucas said, pretending to pout. "No Christmas present for you then. Nothing at all."

"Then I guess I'll toss yours out. Two can play the bitch game, honey," she said.

Lucas grinned. "Game? Isn't it more of a way of life for you?"

Nora playfully shoved him as he laughed. "You're an ass!" she said.

"Yeah but you love my ass."

**********

Gus carried Moon everywhere; to Group, to individual therapy, to the pastures for chores and even to the cafeteria during meals. That was a major no-no, but the few people who knew about it liked the kitten too much to say anything. She was small enough to fit inside the front pocket of Gus's hoodie, and if she happened to stick her head out Gus just gently pulled her back in from the other side. Lucas secretly thought Jeff and Gina knew, but the kitten was helping Gus so much they didn't want to take her away.

Gus was sleeping better now. He still had nightmares and night terrors after his EMDR sessions, but not at the frequency of a month ago. Moon slept curled up against his neck on the pillow. She was always the first to know when he was about to freak out, and she'd taken to mewing loudly just before it happened. Lucas didn't know how she knew, but he was always grateful for the heads up.

"She probably feels the muscles in his neck tensing," Nora said when Lucas told her about the cat's psychic powers.

In the common area, Moon was always the star of the show. She was adorable, feisty and fast, an irresistible combination. They tormented her with flashlight beams and the edges of blankets, laughing hysterically when she pounced on nothing. She obviously thought she was much bigger and scarier than she really was. All the girls wanted to hold her while they watched movies, and Gus would let them, but Moon always made her way back over to his lap. He was her favorite person in the world.