9. thunder and lightning

Haven

He didn't sit with us that day. I hadn't known where he had eaten his lunch, but he wasn't with us.

It had disappointed me, though, it interested me even more, because it made me question even more things about Zephaniah. The reserved guy went unnoticed by many of the students, I didn't even think someone besides me and Tara had bothered to utter a word to him.

I wondered if he minded, because he didn't seem to, but, how trustworthy was the word seem? He had chosen to eat lunch with us today, apparently, as he took a seat next to his cousin, at the corner so he didn't have to sit next to someone else.

We were currently seated outside on the wooden picnic benches in the warm sun, food scattered all over the table that everyone just took without asking for consent.

I had simply brought my own lunch with me. So had Zephaniah.

"Haven, did you sign yourself up for the student project? What was it again? Helping poor students that aren't able to figure things out themselves?" Luke snickered, raising his eyebrows at me, as if it was something stupid.

Though, I sat up straight and stared right back into his eyes, not even a tiny bit intimidated by his dominant behaviour he had had ever since the first day. I didn't know why, but it was surely irritating to me.

"Yes, I did, actually. It's for students that may struggle with certain things." I answered, glancing at Zephaniah, who had a slight frown on his face as he glanced at each one of us, quickly looking away after eye contact.

Norah glared at Luke, then looked at me. "That's great, Haven. I told you to do so! And? Are you somebody's coach now? Did you help anyone, yet?"

"Uhm," I took a sip of my drink, glancing at Zephaniah again, who was already looking at me, confusion written on his face. I didn't feel like telling them, as I didn't know if Zephaniah was aware of the situation, and because I didn't think he'd quite appreciate it.

I mean, it surely wasn't anything to feel ashamed of, not at all, but I just had this feeling that Zephaniah wouldn't like it.

"Actually, no. The woman from the library said that there weren't many students yet that signed themselves up for it. But I'd hear once someone needed it." I smiled at Norah and Tara, who seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say, unlike Luke, who gave me a bored expression. I didn't mind.

"How about you, Zephaniah." Luke then asked, startling Zephaniah. "Did you sign yourself up for it?"

Zephaniah grabbed his water bottle and took a sip, his cheeks coloring as every student that sat at the table, (basically the study group plus Tara), stared at him. "Uhm, what?"

"For the study project. You know, that help other students that can't do shit," He snickered, nudging Louis' and Abel's arms, who chuckled as well. "And not as coach, obviously."

Zephaniah nibbled on his bottom lip and glanced at Luke, keeping his eyes on Tara as she started to speak.

"Yeah, because he'd need it, obviously. Your dad used to shower you until you were like what? Eleven? Twelve?" Tara laughed, Zephaniah's cheeks turning even redder, an upset look forming on his face.

He started to play with his fingers, intensely looking at them and not speaking up for himself. I wondered why he didn't do that. I wondered if Tara was speaking the truth, but even if she did, why would she say something like that?

It clearly upset him.

"Eleven?! I could shower on my own when I was six. No way, Jose, my father would wash me still." Louis laughed, giving Zephaniah a- not- understanding look.