51. sleeping moons

Zephaniah

Darkness engulfed me, so did the slight panicky feeling. The covers felt strange against my skin, itchy, rougher than my own and the smell of them not familiar. My free hand tried to pet his soft hairs as he slept beside my bed- but he wasn't here. I looked up, I didn't know who would be sleeping above me, but I guess it didn't matter to me.

My eyes flickered through the room, I didn't feel safe, but I was exhausted. I didn't want to sleep in the same room as them, but I had no choice. Perhaps, sleeping early did have its benefits- I didn't have to face them now.

Rolling onto my stomach, I rested my cheek on the thin pillow, my left hand underneath my cheek, the right one resting underneath my body. My eyes closed, but my mind was cautious, therefore woke me right before the moments I thought slumber would take over. I didn't exactly know what I was afraid of- other than that I wasn't surrounded by either my parents or Cooper right now.

Probably, the fact that I was sharing my room with the boys I didn't really like. I wondered if they would do something to me, I just felt anxious. Or maybe about the fact that when I would get an epileptic seizure- no one would be there to help me out.

Every unfamiliar sound blustered through my ears, I blinked my eyes faster because of that. The country sounded different- I wasn't sure it made sense. I tried to focus on something else, tried to settle on the noises Haven was making.

It sounded like she was still placing her clothes into the closet. I didn't want to do that- I wanted to keep them in my own suitcase. Haven coughed, sneezed and fidgeted with the zipper of her suitcase- I recognized the noise because it had been the only thing I had done during the ride towards University this morning.

Swallowing, I stared at the wall that was hung full with decorations, the same blue and white tiles they had downstairs, a few posters of Amsterdam and some decoration plants. I felt anxious still, my lips moved before I knew. "Have?" I called out, taking a deep breath.

"Yeah?" I heard, the walls still separating us.

"Good night." I lowered my voice, I wasn't sure if she had heard.

"Good night, Zeph." She said softly, her familiar, sweet voice soothing my anxious heart. I fell asleep.

"Hey! Hey, autistic sloth!" A rough movement jolted me awake, my heart beating fast immediately, though, I kept lying in the position I was currently in. "Your alarm has been going off for ages, it's seven am, dude." Luke growled, dropping my phone onto the floor as he pressed it off. I flinched at the noise, swallowing as I stared at the wall, my back turned towards him.

I felt my back aching, he had most likely pushed me there. Rubbing my tired eyes, I thought he had left me alone when he didn't say anything anymore- but he hadn't.

"Are you going to say anything?" Luke huffed, tugging at my arms as he rolled me around, so I was facing him. "We wanted to sleep in, yet you woke us all with that stupid alarm. Anxiety much? Seven am, dude, seven am. They're serving breakfast in an hour. You need hours to get ready?" A few profanities left his mouth, while Louis glared at me. I glanced at them, somehow shutting off completely. I didn't know what to say, didn't know what to do. I had had that ever since I was little and came into a situation I didn't know how to handle.

"Listen," Luke slapped his hands onto my shoulders, pulling me up- almost making me fall out of the bed. It hurt, I was feeling extremely sensitive at this moment so I flinched away, but he didn't stop. "We hated that we had to share our room with you too, but that doesn't mean that you have to pester us on purpose. Got that? Next time that alarm goes off again, I'll smash that screen and I'm serious."