11. poet in a hammock

Haven

Slowly swinging from left to right in my hammock, I wrote things down into my notebook. Turning the quick scribbles into proper sentences of our Philosophy lecture, I took a sip of the fruit smoothie I had made.

The strawberries had made the smoothie a tad bit sour, but the vanilla ice cream and cherries had made it a bit softer and sweeter.

Smoothies- they were the perfect thing to drink at evenings like these, twenty degrees with the sun falling and breeze laying down.

The sky was full of pink and orange, the clouds smudged out all over, as if an artist was tired of its painting and let his brush sweep all over in frustration. It was fascinating, especially when geese started to fly over.

"Haven, stop staring at the sky and do your work," Jude, my twenty years old brother, kicked the hammock, making it swing even harder. "You won't be a poet,"

I rolled my eyes, chuckling. "Never tried to be,"

"What are you writing, then?" Jude raised his dark eyebrow, itching his chestnut brown hair as he stood up and glanced at my notebook.

"Just making notes, of my notes. Know what I mean? I scribbled things down, super messily which I cannot stand so I don't understand why I did it in the first place, but besides that-"

"Get to the point, Haven. You're being chatty." Jude pinched my cheek and grinned, roughly pushing the hammock away from him.

I groaned and sat up straight, looking at him. "Just neatly writing down my messy scribbling. Happy? And stop pushing me, it makes me nauseous."

"You'd be a tiny bit more quiet, maybe. I don't mind," Jude grinned again and continued to pester me, until Jonah, my four years older brother, stepped into the backyard.

"Stop being a kid, Jude. Let Haven be," He mumbled, flicking his ear, to which Jude welped.

I laughed, and fist bumped my eldest brother. "Thanks, Jonah."

"Got your back, Have," He chuckled, pushing Jude to the ground as they started to wrestle right next to me.

I had never minded having two older brothers. It was nice to have two guys looking after you, except if they went into the so called "father mode". They'd boss around, making me even grumpier than I would be at that moment, but I loved them to death.

Jonah had always been more serious than Jude, though. Perhaps, because he was older, and got it from my dad. He was more introverted, whilst me and Jude were more outgoing, my mum's personality.

The variety was good. I needed to quiet down sometimes, they needed to speak up more often.

Suddenly, I felt my phone vibrating and I frowned, wondering who'd send me a message at this time. Maybe it was Ittarah, who already asked for my notes, even though this was only the third week of Uni.

Unlocking my phone, I noticed it was an email instead, making me frown even deeper. Clicking on it, my eyes quickly read over the sentences.

'Dear Haven,

Thank you, once again, for signing up for the tutor program for our other students. I'm super grateful that you take your time to do so! It can mean so much to other students.

Anyway, I'd like to tell you that I have found you a student. I think you've helped him before. His name is Zephaniah. I think he's in your classes? It took me a while to convince him about all of this due to personal reasons, but he'd like your help sometimes as he struggles with certain things.