70. Jonah the teacher

Haven

".. so I just puked and puked and couldn't stop, even when the whole team was cheering on me. It was so gross, I still gag when I think about it." Louis gagged, a loud sound erupting from his throat.

Raising my left eyebrow, I chuckled a bit, even when my mood was extremely off. "Impressive."

He clutched his stomach, staring outside the bus' window, his expression dramatic. "I think I'm car sick."

Rolling my eyes, a deep sigh left my parted lips. My eyes fell onto Zephaniah- he had completely isolated himself ever since our last conversation. He wore his ochre beanie, the numbing headphones on top of that. He only stared down, nodding once or twice when William motioned for something.

This morning had been our last- we had said our goodbye's and thank you's to Nina and Vincent ter Linde. I found it rather hard to leave Amsterdam, but the situation between Zephaniah and I made me want to be home as soon as possible. William had heard about his seizures, he insisted for Zephaniah to sit beside him again, for the whole journey long. Zephaniah didn't seem to mind now. It hurt me even more. I didn't understand anything- it had only been one or two days, yet it felt as I couldn't live without it.

The journey sucked. I had agreed to sit next to Louis only because Tara and Norah couldn't stop glaring at me. Tara seemed furious, I didn't really know why. Luke was still stubborn, Abel had given me a sympathetic smile but did sit beside Norah.

Obviously, their relationship would be so much easier.

Louis couldn't stop talking about his football stories. About the one time where his tooth rolled out because somebody's head hit his chin roughly when he wanted to pass over the ball, or where somebody stepped onto his ankle but he scored, anyway.

I didn't care. I was tired, he was chatty. Finally, I understood how annoying I could come off towards other people. How had Zephaniah kept up with me? Maybe he hadn't. Maybe that's why he broke it off so soon.

It was strange. I wasn't even used to it- and before I knew it, it was already taken away from me, not even allowing me to get used to the relationship.

Tears welled up in my eyes. My heart hurt, still. I hadn't ever felt this way.

However, I also scolded myself. I could've known, couldn't I? He was autistic, I had always kept that in the back of my head- I gave myself too much false hope. It simply hurt.

"And then when I passed the ball to one of my teammates.."

My attention was long gone, I retrieved my phone out of the pocket of my coat. I needed Jonah- he'd always know what to say. Snuggling deeper into my coat, I pressed my lips to the zipper, scrolling until I found his name.

'You home tonight? X Have.'

Glancing at Zephaniah, I saw how hard he was fighting to keep his eyes open. I felt bad for him, I wanted to brush his fringe off his forehead and tell him it was okay to sleep, that he needed the rest. I pushed my thoughts away.

My phone vibrated, my brother's name appeared on the screen.

'Yeah, 'course, Have. What's up? I'm picking you up, along with Jude :D. Cannot wait to see you. It's been really quiet, haha. X.'

I smiled a little, feeling warm at his words, but the smile faltered soon after. Could you really be friends with someone after this? I never believed in such things, it would always be different from what it had been. Would I lose him completely?

'Just need to talk about something. See you soon, Jo. X.'

He hadn't answered anymore, I let it be.