15. no drops left

Zephaniah

The thirst was driving me crazy. I kept licking my lips, hoping to satisfy my body with something humid in some way, but of course, it wasn't enough. I needed water, and I craved for my water bottle that was deep down in my backpack, but I couldn't get it.

Eating and drinking in class was strictly forbidden, and I wouldn't dare to break the rule as I didn't feel like the consequences that'd come with.

I hadn't ever really minded that I had Epilepsy. Basically, I've had it as long as I can remember, as I had been diagnosed when I was only three years old. I couldn't know what it was like to live without it.

My seizures weren't completely 'unexpected' as they usually occurred when things got too much for me, a huge trigger to a seizure. Of course you wouldn't ever know before you got one, but this huge, pressing and tight headache would come up and Cooper would be restless.

I'd know, my parents would know because now that I was older, I was able to explain the feelings to them. I hadn't when I was younger, as I simply didn't understand where it was coming from.

It gave me the opportunity to almost do whatever I wanted to, as some people weren't allowed to do certain things because their seizures could put them to risk. The chance for seizures out of nowhere was minimal for me, which I was thankful for. It didn't control my life.

The building up stress, sleep deprivation and overwhelmed or overstimulated situations caused mine, because some people with autism were most likely to have something else such as epilepsy. It wasn't uncommon. In fact, autism and epilepsy had their 'connection'.

The only thing that I disliked, was that when the doctor had increased my anti-epileptics after the seizure on the introduction evening, I became extremely thirsty because of the pills.

My mouth would be so dry, my tongue constantly rolling over my lips to hopefully get the disturbing feeling away as I couldn't focus on anything else but that.

Dismissed from the lecture.

Sighing in relief once William spoke these words, I stood up and grabbed my backpack, swinging it over my shoulder and waiting for my peers to leave, so I could leave more peacefully, as they were always extremely loud, shoving each other to get out.

I didn't want to be touched, it upset me.

Walking down the rows of many red chairs, I got stopped by William when I was about to leave. "Zephaniah, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Okay?" I said unsure, giving him a skeptical look while I felt the nerves coming up already, my mouth becoming even dryer and my hands clammy.

"Sit down," he said, closing the door after the last peer left, smiling at me as I sat down on a chair near his desk. "Could you follow the lecture?"

"Uh- yeah," I stammered, not being able to hold eye contact.

"What was it about?" He wondered, making me swallow as honestly, I did not know. I couldn't focus at all.

I didn't know how long it had been, but the silence said more words than I probably would have. William understood, but he didn't judge. "What's up your mind, Zephaniah?"

I fiddled with my fingers, still longing for water. "Uhm, my anti-epileptics make me very thirsty and I- I'm not always able to listen because I get distracted easily and I cannot filter- filter out some noises." I spilled, someway, somehow, feeling like he'd understand.

"You can drink water, Zephaniah. That is absolutely no problem. The sign," he pointed at the door where a sign with rules was displayed, "is more for sweet drinks, you know what I mean? It's totally okay." He gave me a reassuring smile and I sighed, feeling stupid. "Can I, in any way, help with the other things? Do the slides help you?"