65. avocado photo's

Haven

"I wonder if there are autistic people that don't like the feeling of kissing." Zephaniah wondered, glancing at our hands, which had been entangled ever since we had kissed on the bench. "It feels pretty great to me, okay."

Smiling, I took it as a compliment. "Maybe it's just me, you know, who's a good kisser." I teased, but being the guy he was, he took it pretty seriously.

"I know so." He mumbled out, shyly glancing at me. It reminded me of the Zephaniah at the very beginning, when he had barely dared to utter a word to me. The shyness now was different, but I liked it about him. The roles in our, very, very fresh, relationship were reversed and I'd lie if I said I minded that.

I kissed Zephaniah. Zephaniah.

It suddenly hit me, making me feel warm all over again. My heart fluttered, I let out a shaky breath. Still wondering if I was dreaming, I was pretty sure I had never been happier before. Was there more to achieve? I didn't think so.

Zephaniah had randomly kissed me, oh so carefully, so now and then ever since we had shared the first kiss. I could tell he was getting used to the, rather big, change and feelings. But secretly, I was too. I didn't mind his soft lips pressed against mine- I couldn't get used to how nice it felt. How it felt as it belonged together, and had been since a long time.

I had space to breathe again, my mind had space to think about unnecessary stuff again.

"Do you think- do you think your parents mind about the relationship?" Zephaniah looked at me, unsure. His right eye was narrowed lightly, his lips parted.

"No." I answered right away, softly shaking my head. "No, I don't think so. I'm sure they will like it." Calling it a relationship had probably been really fast- but I didn't see the necessity of dating when you were already sure you wanted to be with this specific person..

And besides, wasn't it all we had done during this trip? I knew that my parents got together after meeting once or twice- that had been way faster than what I was doing right now. Jonah had asked Sarah on their third date- I knew Zephaniah much longer than that.

Perhaps, it didn't matter when or how you got together- if it felt right, then who were other people to stop or say anything about it?

The only thing I cared about was Zephaniah and his timing. If it was too fast- too overwhelming for him- I wouldn't have done it. Zephaniah had agreed to it himself, he had liked it even better. Being in a relationship was clear to him- he could fall back onto it. With dating, he wasn't sure about a lot of things- it was too hazy, too vague, too unclear. He needed the firmness, the confirmation.

"I think Dad would be proud of me." Zephaniah nodded, a small smile curling upon his lips. "Sorry, that might sound.. weird."

"Not at all." I smiled, squeezing his hand a little. "Also, if you say sorry one more time I'll sue you. You never have to apologise for such things, okay?"

"Okay, Heaven."

"You did not-" I stopped in tracks, looking up at him with such amusement. "That was so cute. Did you truly think I was called Heaven?"

Zephaniah chuckled, nodding his head. "I thought so.. the popping balloons had- had messed up my mind, I guess. Well, my hearing, actually." He laughed a little, biting his upper lip. The trait warmed me every time he did that- he looked sweet doing it.

"I didn't mind." Smiling, I thought about the very first time I saw him- the night where the stalls with information were displayed about the study you would be following. His eyes, which he had opened once he had stopped seizing, had caught me off guard. The intense look he had, some sort of confusion yet desperation- not forgetting to talk about the strange, beautiful colour of them.