73. depressed guinea pigs

Haven

The most inspirational breakfast I could think of on this gloomy, Monday morning before University were yogurt with some cornflakes. I had barely eaten this weekend, my head too full for it, my stomach too upset.

I'm sure my parents had noticed, but neither had said a word about it, probably because they knew I didn't feel like telling them, anyway. I was sure they had asked Jonah- he had briefly explained them the situation.

Whenever we would talk, though, I tried to talk about Amsterdam, the city itself, only. Pushing my thoughts about Zephaniah away, because they still hurt too much. Of course, he flashed through my mind all the time, but once it would happen, I would try to think of the thought that this was better for him.

I was extremely nervous to see him at University today. I wondered if he still saw us as friends. I wanted to, obviously I wanted to- but I didn't know if I could. Everything would be so strange.

Noticing that my thoughts had led to him again, I sighed deeply, staring at the ticking clock. I still had plenty of time left- I had awoken so early and could only toss around in bed that I had decided to just go out.

The Amsterdam hangover was still pretty much present, but I was sure I wouldn't be the only one today feeling that way. What had Zephaniah done this weekend? I scolded myself.

All of a sudden, Cookie started squeaking. It startled me, so as I shoved my bowl away, I turned around on my seat and stared at the cage, noticing something odd hanging out of her bottom. My eyes widened, realising she was pregnant.

"Jude!" I yelled, jumping off my chair. My parents were gone to work, so was Jonah. Jude had a day off, I needed him to be here. Crouching down in front of the cage, I heard her squeaking some more, realising it wasn't something odd hanging out- but a baby.

Gulping, I stood up and ran over towards the stairs, entering Jude's room. His room was completely dark, I squinted my eyes and turned them to the, still, sleeping figure. Flashing on the lights, I saw how he slept on his stomach, reminding me of Zephaniah.

I swallowed, but pushed my thoughts away when my eyes lingered on a cushion. Grabbing it, I smacked it against Jude's head once or twice in order to wake him up.

He did, instantly, sitting up with a death glare present. "What the heck, Have?! What time is it?" Jude glanced at the clock, his sleepy eyes squinted. "Seriously? I've got a day off, I want to sleep in!" He added, once he read it was half past seven.

"No, Cookie is giving birth! You need to see it! Hurry, hurry!" I smacked him again- but Jude was faster and snatched the cushion out of my hands, smacking me back.

"I don't care- What?!" Jude frowned, staring at me for a moment long. "Wait, what?! Wasn't he a boy?"

Shrugging, I slowly rolled my eyes. "Obviously. Since when do girls give birth? Now, come on! Before it's too late."

Jude muttered something underneath his breath, but he followed me either way after he had slipped on some joggers and a shirt. Running down the stairs, I slipped over the floor and sat on my knees, noticing there were two babies born now.

I thought they would be born naked- turns out I was wrong. They had hairs all over, big, black pearly eyes staring at me. "Oh my goodness! They're so cute!" I needed to show them to Zephaniah-

My smile faded, I slouched down.

Jude wrapped his arms around my neck, leaning onto me with his full weight. "Aw, how cute." He said, his tone sarcastically. "Cannot believe I let you drag me out of bed for these, ugly, rats." He cuddled me closer, I groaned loudly, trying to get him off me.