No Title

@a-nxny-mous

Wendy’s flight came in at 3AM and you were there to meet her at the airport all the same.

Flustered by the gesture and exhausted from travel, Wendy’s momentary frustration spilled over her elation at seeing you. “I told you not to worry about it!” She said sharply, then winced at herself. Of course her first in-person words to you in two weeks would be a scolding.

But you didn’t mind. “I couldn’t wait,” you said. “I couldn’t sleep anyway, and I wanted to see you as soon as possible.” You looked exactly as Wendy knew you would, slightly rumpled hair, eyes bright and excited. You looked tired and bashful, and Wendy’s discomfiture was overwhelmed by affection.

“Stop being so cute.” Wendy says, holding out her arms hoping you’d get the signal. It didn’t matter to her that you were both still in the airport, that even at this ungodly hour there were other people around. “Come here before I tackle you.” She said, and you obeyed. You crossed the remaining distance between you two in one step, and wrapped Wendy up eagerly.

You smelled like home, like the bedspread on Saturday mornings and dinners at the kitchen table. Wendy digs her fingers into your warm sweater, pressing her face into the cable knit and fighting back an onslaught of relief so strong it almost brings her to tears. “I’m home.” She says.

You hold her tightly, the action practiced and familiar. “Welcome home.” You reply.

You both arrive at your apartment a little less than an hour later, and Wendy’s first instinct as soon as the door was closed was to drop her bag on the floor and climb on you like a tree.

You laugh and staggered under her weight. “Aren’t you tired?” You asked in between Wendy’s ardent kisses. “Or hungry?”

“I am both those things,” Wendy returned. “But I have my priorities.”

Afterwards, you both curl together drowsily on the couch, with you on your back and Wendy sprawled across you like a cat. You trace light circle over Wendy’s back, kissing her temple softly. Wendy dozed off, though she tried not to.She floated there, half-dreaming she was still on the plane.

“Just smile, I really need to see you smile right now.” You whisper softly.

“Hmm?” Wendy lifts her head up slightly, confusion in her tired eyes.

“I missed your smile.” Your hand moves up to caress her scalp, smiling when Wendy plops back down on your chest. “Thinking about seeing you again was the only thing that kept me going.”

Wendy roused herself a little more. She lifts her head again, propping her chin on her hand on your chest so she could look at you properly. It was still dark, but you had left the hallway light on for you to come home; it spilled enough of a glow into the living room that Wendy could see you eyes glittering on her faintly. “But we video called everyday. Was that not enough?”

“Of course it was. I still think having you here with me is better.”

Wendy feels herself flush, a smile forming on her face. Years of being together and she still felt overwhelmed and bewildered that you loved her. “I’m too tired to handle you saying such embarrassing things,” she says with her hot face smushed against your cheek.

“I love you.” You mumble near her ear, wrapping your arms around her and placing a chaste kiss on her cheeks.

“I love you too.” She mumbles back sleepily as the blanket settles against her back after she gives you a brief kiss on the lips. You wanted to take her out today to do things that you missed out on during the two weeks she was away for a schedule. But for now, it was fine to just lie there with her–there was still time for you to have this moment, muted and intimate as it was, your shy girlfriend happy and safe on top of you, surrounded by the ambiance of home.