SHE DOESN'T DRAW WHAT SHE SEES

Wendy X Seulgi

zephyrs dance between strands of black shoulder-length hair, and as the breeze travels down the slender neck slightly covered with a sheen of perspiration, fingers gripped firmly around a charcoal pencil dance with swift strokes on a blank canvas, as if the wind is gently nudging her to draw, draw, draw.

seulgi sits on a small mat, slightly worn out by how often she uses it, her back straight against the tree as she glances down to her sketchpad and then up again to the bustling landscape before her. it's lunch time, and she sees students whirling past her like a hurricane, a cacophony of boisterous laughter and words jumping out at her ringing in her ears, feels a slight discomfort at the frenzy of it all, and feels the need to pin it down, to press it against the whites of her paper to stop it - a raucous moment of whatever she sees transforming to a beautiful ordered piece she conjures with her own hand. it is a lot like seulgi. while many artists sketch fleeting moments like this quickly, before it escapes their eyes and their minds, an almost haphazard yet surrealist scene in their sketchpads, seulgi watches, heartrate rising with quick raps against her hollow chest, shuts her eyes momentarily and slows the frenzied scene in her mind. she freezes the scene, realigns the elements in the scene so that it creates an order of its own, ahh, her heartrate slowing down, the rush in oxygen fills her head as she exhales in relief: none of that frenzied blur and din, just her way of placing peace in what had lain in front of her. and so she sketches it out, less haphazard, she thinks, but also a lot more distant.

the noise doesn't reach her ears, ears protected with the soft cushions of her headphones as it cups the rims of her ears. the perfect ensemble of acoustic guitar and the duo's voices weaves its way into wendy's ears, her eyes closed as she imagines herself in the middle of a woodland, laying down as sunlight filters through the leaves, a peace that comes with the green leaves playing with the golden rays in out back forth, forgetting the sheen of perspiration that sticks to her clothes during lunch time in school. she listens as her mixtape glides from the paper kites' bloom to the honey trees' to be with you, imagines the rays of the sun being replaced with a pair of deep brown eyes that looks deeply into her own, wendy no longer feels the damp dense dead leaves underneath her, thinking instead of the warmth of her thighs radiating out into wendy's skin. wendy slumps a little further down the trunk of the tree, completely absorbed in the sanctuary she has escaped to with a simple click of the play button and the closing of her eyes.

---

the bell rings sharply, even the noise-cancelling headphones wendy owns cannot hide fully the shrill of the bell that signals the end of lunch time.

she blinks open her eyes, panicking a little as she rushes to pack her things to get to her next class, at least 4 blocks away, on time. the slight commotion catches the peripheries of seulgi's vision so she turns slightly to see the red tresses of hair covering a girl's face as she scrambles to pick up all her belongings, the wires of her headphones tangling up a usually simple process. she ignores the little distraction, returns to pack her sketch pad and readies herself for class as well. as she prepares to leave, brushing off the stray leaves that have clung onto the back of her jeans, she spots a rectangular plastic cover, edges flirting with the rays of the sun glowing fading glowing, and bends over it pick it up. a little scratched, the cover acknowledges the habitual use of it, and the slip of paper that is stuck inside it complements its sentiments. seulgi walks to her class, turning the cover back and forth, analyzing its content (or lack thereof, save for the slip of paper).

autumn days & your longing gaze
1. the paper kites - bloom
2. the honey trees - to be with you
3. the tallest man on earth - the dreamer
4. the lumineers - stubborn love
5. youth - daughter
6. the middle east - blood
.
.
.
wen's / february 2013