ten ; lifesaver

d e t r o i t - 2 0 3 8

Connor seemed to be less... strict, composed, and outcast towards me and Hank. I notice he's developing a closeness to the Lieutenant, too.

He teases me at times, or gets plain cheeky like back at the burger stand. He's actually a nice friend to be with.

CyberLife did a pretty good job at this prototype, huh?

We were in my car, about to travel to the apartment of the reported deviant that Connor said.

“Calculating route

“Calculating route...” he trails off as his LED flickers amber, “We should arrive there within 20 minutes.”

“Connor?” 

“Yes, Detective?” Connor was about to drive, but he looked at me when I said his name.

I hesitated, then took in a breath. “Do you think androids can actually... feel?”

I didn’t know if this was a good question to ask an android.

Connor’s eyes remained trained on me, his LED a burning yellow, which flashed red for a split second.

“These... emotions that androids ‘feel’ are just errors in their software, or irrational orders leading them to unpredictable behavior,” He said.

“More and more androids show signs of deviancy every day, Connor,” I look forward, thinking. “Don’t tell me CyberLife — one of the most successful companies in the world — allow themselves to distribute these products with some error in their programming?” I continue.

“No,” Connor does the same as me, looking at the road. “That’s why we’re here, Detective. Along with Lieutenant Anderson — to investigste these deviants, find the cause of their deviancy, and put a stop to them.”

He started driving.

“There are more than millions in circulation, aren’t there?” I ask.

“Correct.”

I sigh. “We need to solve these cases before they get worse.”

________

The whole apartment building looks creepy. There were no light sources in the hallways except for the minimal sunlight seeping through the windows.

I almost didn’t want to go in the elevator, for the fear that it might stop and we couldn’t get out.

Thank Merlin that we got to the designated floor safely.

I exited the elevator with Hank, but when I looked back at Connor, he had his eyes closed.

Did he shut down or something?

“Connor,” I call out.

“Connor? Hey, Connor! You ran outta batteries or what?” Hank said.