Chapter 5

Regina's P.O.V

"Well, I'm impressed. Maybe you do deserve food." I tell her, letting my hands fall from her waist and back to my side. Her eyes narrow a touch to see if I'm mocking her when her stomach grumbles. Her skin flushes pink, from her chest to her cheeks.

"Guards?" I call out and they come in, standing at attention. "Please guide Emma to her room." When they come over and grip her forearms tight, pushing her shoulders up and making her grimace I frown.

"Gently. Don't even touch her. Just walk her back. Then one of you will go down to the kitchens and tell the cook to make Emma up some healthy and light. I want to keep her looking good." I tell them and they nod, releasing Emma but nudging her to turn her around. 

~~~

Emma's P.O.V

I walk in between the two burly men, my bare feet padding against the cold stone. My stomach grumbled again and I frowned. I tried to wrap my mind around the happenings of the day. I really wanted to go home, see Henry, and for once, Snow and David. I miss them. I conclude with a scowl. The only time I've ever missed them was when I didn't know them and I wanted parents. The thought makes me guilty and I shake my head at myself.

"We're here." One of the guards says as the other one starts to make his way down towards the kitchen. I nod and he opens the door. I hear it close behind me and I pause to wait for the click of the lock. When it doesn't come I smile gleefully. Idiots. I struggle to take off the fancy dress and corset, letting my body free from the constricting outfit. I walk over to the closet sitting beside the door to the bathroom and pull open both the doors, letting my eyes try to see what's in there. The room is dark and I forgot to ask for candles or something to light the wood in the fireplace. I push through the clothing, trying to find trousers and a shirt. 

"Come on!" I grumble, going down the drawer set in the bottom of the closet as my last hope. I cheer silently when I find one single pair of trousers and a blouse that would be perfect for my plan. I find a corset that laces up in the front and tie it up loosely. I slip everything on before going to the shelving unit beside the door that held different pairs of shoes. I grab some good boots and start to tie them up when I heard the door opening. I ran into the bathroom, closing the door and waiting for them to speak up.

"Miss Emma?" I hear a young woman's voice call out.

"I'm in the washroom!" I yell back and I hear a small clatter.

"I've left your food on your bedside table." She tells me and I quietly open the door, listening to see if they remember to lock it after she leaves. Luckily they slip up twice and I smile in victory. These guys are truly the dumbest men I have ever met.

I leave the bathroom and walk over to sit on my bed, picking up the tray laying on my bedside table. Luckily it has hot soup, full of meat and veggies to keep me going through the night if I want to escape. I eat it slowly, not letting it burn my tongue, then ravishing the bread and drinking the cup of water in one gulp. I give a quick stretch and rest a moment to let the food settle before walking to the door, leaning my head against it. I hear no sounds except for the click of boots as the single guard left walks back and forth in front of the door. I hear another pair of feet walk up and they both leave after a few moments of indistinct talking. I can't believe my luck, this was almost easy. Too easy though, I shuddered with anticipation as I quietly open the door and pray that it doesn't creak. 

I poke my head out and notice no one so I slip my body out and start to walk quickly down the hall away from Regina's quarters. I see a staircase and run down it, cringing at the noises my boots make. I keep up my jogging pace while trying to keep my feet light, hoping for no sound to come from me. I start to recognize my surroundings and my pace quickens, knowing the exit is near. I hear a slight commotion from far away in the castle and wonder if they know I've escaped. My mind tries to remember if I closed the door behind me but the memory escapes me, pushing me to run now. I leave through a smaller side exit, ducking inside a small alcove to check out the surroundings.