Chapter 9: The Sports Festival

"Hey! Pay attention audience! Swarm mass media! This year's highschool rodeo of adolescence you all love, the UA Sports Festival is about to begin!"

The crowd cheered excitedly over Present Mic's announcing from the booth above.

"Everybody, are you ready?"

The crowd screamed back a positive reply.

"It's time for the first year students to enter the first-year stage!"

(Y/n) took a deep breath and held her head high.

She needed to make herself stand out. She needed to prove she was still as strong as she ever was, even after the death of her father.

Maybe her mother was watching...

She grinned and stepped out onto the field.

Let's do this.

~

"The UA Sports Festival! The huge battle where fledgling heroes sharpen their swords once a year! Anyway, these are the guys, right? The miraculous new stars who overcame enemy attacks with their hearts of steel!"

Aren't announcers supposed to be neutral about the contestants? (Y/n) wondered.

"Hero Course, Class 1-A!"

(Y/n) walked bravely to the middle of the grassy area, where they were meant to wait.

"There are so many people!" she heard Izuku whisper nervously.

"Don't worry Izu! You'll do great!" (Y/n) encouraged him.

"Will we be able to give our best performance being watched by so many people?" Iida wondered aloud.

"Man, he's going overboard on that praise!" Kirishima commented.

"Well, it isn't really the best. It just makes the other classes hate us more than they already do..." (Y/n) sighed.

"I'm getting really nervous. What about you Bakugo?" Kirishima asked the blond hothead.

"No, I'm just getting more into it!" he replied, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

"They haven't been getting much airtime, but this class is also full of talent! Hero Course, Class 1-B! Next up, general studies classes, C, D, and E! Support course, classes F, G, and H are here too! And business course, classes I, J, and K! All of UA's first years are here now!"

(Y/n) turned her attention to the front stage as a whip cracked. On the stage stood Midnight, an R-rated pro hero.

"What's Ms. Midnight wearing?" Kirishima muttered. (Y/n) also felt a twinge of uncomfortableness at the pro hero's outfit.

"Quiet everyone! Representing the students is Katsuki Bakugo from Class 1-A!"

(Y/n) wasn't surprised.

"He did finish first in the entrance exam," Sero commented. A girl from another class scoffed.

"In the hero course."

(Y/n) groaned and pinched the bridge of her nose. Why did Bakugo have to make enemies wherever he went?

"I pledge... to be number one."

(Y/n) growled in frustration as her classmates shouted out in anger around her.

The crowd started to boo and Iida reprimanded Bakugo for the terrible speech.

"Now let's get started right away. The first game is what you'd call a qualifier," Midnight explained. "Every year, many drink their tears here. Now here is the fateful first game!"