Chapter 18: Raindrops and Hero Names

(Y/n) looked up at the sky. It was overcast and she shivered.

"Man, it looks like it's gonna rain soon." she murmured. She walked a few more paces, and just as she suspected, it started to pour.

(Y/n) started to run towards the school, hoping to not get that drenched. She took refuge under a tree.

"Dammit," she hissed. "I'm gonna get sick if I stay out here any longer."

She sighed, but continued forward. She kept her head bent, hoping the school was warm inside.

The rain suddenly let up, and she looked up. An umbrella covered her head, shielding her from the rain.

"Hello (Y/n)"

"Thank you so much Shoto. I've been a bit scatter-brained lately. I'm forgetting things a lot." she said, shuffling closer to him. She rubbed her arms, hoping to get a little warmth.

"Here, let me help."

He wrapped his left arm around her shoulder, pressing her closer. He used his quirk to warm her shivering form.

(Y/n) blushed from the close contact.

"W-we should get to class." she stammered. He nodded, and they walked together to the building.

~

Bakugo watched the whole thing unfold. He was brimming with anger as he watched the half-n-half bastard put his arm around (Y/n).

"What the hell does she see in him?" he seethed, stalking off to class after them.

~

(Y/n) settled into her seat.

"What about you (Y/n)?"

"Huh?" she asked, perplexed.

"Did people talk to you over the break?" Mina asked eagerly. (Y/n) thought back to her experiences over the break.

"Uh, yeah, the people at the hospital knew who I was. And there were little kids who would stare at me as I was walking downtown. And quite a few adults told me what a great job I did." she admitted, blushing profusely.

"So (Y/n)," Uraraka began, sliding into the vacant seat in front of her. "What's with you and Todoroki?"

"E-excuse me?"

"Yeah. I saw you two sharing an umbrella. He also put his arm around you and you two walked into the school together."

"H-he was keeping me warm! I forgot my umbrella back at the dorms, and I was soaked from the rain!"

"Ooh, scandalous!" Mina teased. (Y/n)'s face heated up and a blush dusted her cheeks.

"No, give her a break guys," Momo interrupted. (Y/n) sighed in relief.

"Besides, she obviously likes Bakugo."

"What?!" (Y/n) exclaimed. "I thought you had my back here!"

Momo smiled mischievously.

"Yeah, and at the Sports Festival, they were eating together." Jirou added. "She was running her fingers through his hair."

"I was not!" (Y/n) blushed an even deeper red shade.

"Which one will she choose! I'm on the edge of my seat!" Toru exclaimed.

Before (Y/n) could get in a retort, the door slid open. The girls raced back to their seats, and Shoto slid into his seat next to (Y/n).

"Good morning." Aizawa said.

"Ribbit. Mr. Aizawa, your bandages are gone." Tsu pointed out. "I'm glad."

(Y/n) could see a small crescent shaped scar below his right eye, but other than that, he seemed fine.

"The old lady went overboard on her treatment. More importantly, we're having a special hero informatics class today..."

The entire class held their breath as they awaited their assignment.

"Code names. You'll be coming up with hero names."

The class erupted in cheers. Aizawa's eyes glowed a menacing red, and immediately, the class was silent.

"This is related to the pro hero draft picks I mentioned the other day. The drafts begin in earnest in the second and third years, after students have gained experience and become immediate assets to the pros."

"In other words, for them to extend offers to first years like you shows that they are interested in your future potential. These offers are often cancelled if that interest dies down by graduation."

"So we'll have to prove ourselves once we get picked, huh?" Toru asked.

"That's right. And here are the totals for those with offers."

A screen lit up, and (Y/n) searched for her name.

"3,457 offers!" (Y/n) exclaimed. She was in third place, behind Katsuki.

He's behind Shoto? But he got first place in the Sports Festival. Maybe because he was so reckless the last match..."

Right on cue, Katsuki snarled at Sero, who commented about the pros being scared of someone who had to be chained to the podium. (Y/n) giggled.

"You're amazing Todoroki." Momo complimented.

"They're probably all because of my dad." he said sourly.

"Then make them notice you, Shoto. Prove how strong you are by yourself." (Y/n) smiled at him.

"Remember, these names are only temporary, but if you're not serious about it..." Aizawa began.

"You'll have hell to pay later!"

The door slid open, revealing Midnight. She strutted into the room, swaying her hips side to side.

"Midnight will make sure your names are okay. I'm not good at that."

Aizawa pulled out his yellow sleeping bag and leaned against the wall, already dozing off.

A board was passed to (Y/n), who was lost in thought for a name.

~

"Alright, we'll start presenting our names now."

Already! I haven't chosen! (Y/n) thought to herself, staring at the blank board.

People went, one by one, and with each passing person she grew more nervous. She thought back to what her mother said.

"Following in your father's footsteps"...

She knew what name she wanted.

~

(Y/n) took a deep breath, then presented her name.

"The Feathered Hero: Goldenwing."

Her heart pounded in her chest and she kept her head bent, hoping Midnight would just say something.

"That's a wonderful name, (Y/n)!"

She breathed a sigh of relief, and walked back to her seat.

~

Later in class, (Y/n) looked over her offers list.

There's so many to choose from! How am I gonna look through them all?

She sighed, resting her head on her arms.

An agency name caught her eye.

Endeavor's Agency.

(Y/n) paused, thinking it over.

She circled the name in red, then left for lunch.