Chapter 15: Katsuki vs Shoto

(Y/n) lowered herself gently back into her seat with a grimace. Her injuries still stung, and when her clothing rubbed against them, it irritated her. She glanced around at all her other classmates. Quite a few of them were bandaged up, including Izuku and Uraraka next to her.

Fire shot up from the stage below.

"It's finally the last battle of the UA High School Sports Festival!"

The crowd roared in excitement.

"The top of the first years will be decided with this one match!" Present Mic cheered. "The final, so to speak!"

"From the Hero Course, Shoto Todoroki! Versus- also from the Hero Course, Katsuki Bakugo!"

"Yeah, go Katsuki!" (Y/n) shouted at the top of her lungs. He glanced up to where she sat in the bleachers. She grinned and gave him a thumbs up. He smirked.

"Now, start!"

In the blink of an eye, Shoto placed his hand to the ground and sent a wave of ice towards Katsuki.

He tried to fight off the wave with repetitive blasts, but soon the ice surrounded him.

"Todoroki gets a blow in right away! Is he trying to avoid close combat with Bakugo? Has the winner been decided already?"

"Come on Katsuki," (Y/n) whispered. "I know you're not done for that easily!"

A sound came from inside the ice, shaking the entire stadium. It repeated until the ice began to splinter and crack.

It finally exploded outward, causing Shoto to leap backwards.

"Did he dig his way through the ice like a mole with his explosions?" Sero exclaimed.

Katsuki jumped from the ice and shot towards Shoto. As Shoto ran to meet him, Katsuki changed course mid-air with an explosion and grabbed Shoto's left shoulder and left side of his head.

Katsuki threw Shoto over his shoulder and added an explosion to throw him out of bounds. Shoto saved himself with a wall of ice. He skated back over to Katsuki.

Katsuki leaped again to attack with an explosion, but Shoto grabbed his arm to divert the blast.

For a split second, (Y/n) thought he was going to use his fire.

He just tossed Katsuki aside, angering him further.

"With the way he grabbed Todoroki's left side on purpose and timed the explosions..." Eraserhead commented. "He's been doing his research. That kid's abilities shine every time he fights."

"I see." Present Mic replied.

"Todoroki's moving well, too, but his attacks are too simple. Ever since his match with Midoriya, he's lost his touch."

Katsuki charged towards Shoto again, propelling himself upwards with an explosion.

Suddenly, Izuku jumped up from his seat.

"Don't lose! Do your best!"

(Y/n) looked back at the stage. Shoto had used his fire, and his hair flared upwards with the twisting flame.

Katsuki grinned, then created more explosions, creating a whirlwind.

Shoto paused, then lowered his arm.

What is he doing? (Y/n) wondered.

Katsuki set off another explosion, straight at Shoto. The ice shattered from the impact.

"It looks like Todoroki didn't fire off the huge blast he used in his match with Midoriya. But the winner is-"

The smoke cleared, and (Y/n) gasped. Shoto lay motionless against the wall of ice, his head lolling to the side.