Chapter 27 The Showcase

Luke

"Happy birthday" I muttered weakly when Ashton opened his eyes the next morning.

He raised his eyebrow in confusion. It didn't quite have its effect when his eyes were squinted closed with sleep. I know his birthday was yesterday but he probably wasn't down for cheery happy birthday celebrations yesterday.

"I really don't want to remember my birthday this year" Ashton grumbled before turned over so his back was faced to me. I huffed at his response.

He needed a celebration. Harrison was being indefinitely being locked up. We were back together. Summer was almost here and life was good at the moment. I ran a hand up Ashton's spine and he shivered against my touch. That brought a smile to my face.

"Well how about we pretend that today is your birthday instead?" I suggested. He groaned and flipped me off, he can't have been that tired. I place chaste kisses up his spinal column and he trembled beneath me.

"How about we forget I turned seventeen yesterday and kicked Harrison Grace's ass?" Ashton retorted. He got up from the bed which made me whine on the inside. No more snuggle time, wow I actually just said that. He pulled on sweatpants and a loose baggy hoodie.

"I really wish you had told me that before" I sighed. He wasn't going to like what was going to happen next. He looked at me with his eyebrows knit together and his arms folded.

"Come on in guys" I hollered. Ashton's eyes narrowed on me, I was going to pay for this later I could see it in his eyes. Ellie, James, Calum, Michael, Annie and strangely enough Kiera came through the door. A cake in hand with candles lit.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Ashton, happy birthday to you" we all sang to Ashton in chorus, he was rolling his eyes along to the entire thing. I'm not surprised that he would want to forget about yesterday, I for one have a pounding headache still, but we deserve to celebrate after all the shit we've been through.

He rolled his eyes once more but smiled slightly. He was trying to keep it hidden but I knew his tells all too well. I knew a lot more about Ashton than I actually let on. It gave me the upper hand, like it was a competition. "Do I still get presents?" he muttered with sickly sweet innocent voice.

I nodded and place a purple shoe box on the bed. It wasn't shoes which I know everyone was thinking by the way they were looking at me.

"I'm here at ten on a Saturday you can open mine first" Kiera snapped. She threw a blue paper wrapped package at Ashton. It was a grey hoody with #TopSkank printed on the back. Typical Kiera. Ashton also got some new CDs from Calum. A Nirvana teeshirt from Michael, which he did like but I knew his favourite was Iggy Azalea at the moment, when you're in a relationship you just know somethings. He also got an iPod from Annie, she could afford it because her parents were loaded. And of course it was no surprise when Ashton got his car from Ellie and James. He had been going on about it for months and he gets anything he wants from them two. Well I say car, it was actually a white jeep liberty but same concept.

"Okay we're going to go and make birthday pancakes" Calum stated happily. Everyone groaned and left the room. I would thank Calum later for giving us some alone time. I say that after I've slept with his arms around me all night.

"You gonna open mine now?" I asked excitedly. I hadn't actually really bought him anything but I had spent months working on everything in that box.

He smirked and opened up the box slowly. His eyes lit up when he saw what was inside. The Nirvana teeshirt Ashton wore the first day we met, a logo sticker from the ice cream shop at the mall, a calendar with all the important days we had had so far. A guitar string bracelet with Gotta Let It Happen on it. A picture frame of all of us a couple of days before Annie's party, with Greendale 2014 engraved in the picture frame. A hella lot of pictures. His breathe hitched when he found the last one. It had take a long time and a private investigator to even find this picture. It was a picture of Ashton on the day he was born with his mom in the hospital.