5

" Mom! We're doing a project on school about family-"

"Not right now, sweet heart. Mommy has a terrible headache." The lady sips her cup of wine that she's been nursing that whole dinner.

"You've said the this whole week." She says softly, lowering her voice to avoid any anger. "It's due in a couple of days. I at least need to know Dad's name. I have to fill out a packet and write the essay still! I only have a couple of day-"

"I said ENOUGH, Minnie." She snaps, her eyes red and glossy with her hangover. She sighs as she slowly closes her eyes, and grits her teeth.

Minseo kept her head down low, tears filling her eyes. She wanted so desperately to know who she belonged to. She also was under stress because she asked for an extension on the project and she was coming to the due date. She had no one of her fathers side and she needed this grade.

"I told you not to ask." Her mother speaks up. Anger was evident in her voice, she was shaking with nerves. Every time her biological family is brought up, she's stuck with nerves and the urge to throw up.

"I know.... But, it's for a project, Mom." She whispers and her mom frowns. She shakes her head and gets up, throwing out her barely touched food.

"Mom, you need to eat! Your meds-"

"Shut up. I've lost my appetite. It's your fault."

"Min Minseo, here to see Kim Jiwoo." Minseo says, smiling at the desk lady. She fills out the visitor pass and sticks on the name tag. Her feet move on their own, walking the same halls she's walked to visit her mother for the last 6 months.

"Hi, mommy." She smiles sweetly as the sick woman looks over. Her black hair now had streaks of gray, resembling her younger self but this time, stress and lack of nutrients had grayed her. Her skin yellowed like the whites of her eyes, red streaks from where she scratched the clubbed nails and her swollen legs were propped up.

"W-why are you here?" She snaps. Minseo was used to her unstable mood swings and ignored it.

"Just here to check how you're doing." She shrugs and sits in a seat after putting her backpack down.

"I'm fine. You should be home. How's your studies? Ballet?"She looks at her skeptically, her eyes scanning the girl. "You gained weight. Careful."

"I'll make sure to snack less. My grades and ballet are fine." She fills in, watching her mother scan through channels. She sits on her phone playing games until a doctor steps in, beckoning Minseo to talk outside.

"Yes? What's the matter?" She asks curiously, closing the door behind her. She looks up nervously at him. She never really had to talk to the doctors, she got updates from her mothers nurses.

"You're her daughter?" He asks with uncertainty. They had no resemblance, nor did Jiwoo talk about her daughter much. He doubted she actually had one, but when seeing that she had been there for a visit, he made sure to talk to her.

"Yes... Is there a problem? Something I need to know?"

"Ah, Yes. We've been telling Ms. Park that we needed to call in family for blood tests. We decided to go through with the surgery and we found a liver but, we wanted to get some blood donations. We just need to test if your compatible." He says and she slowly nods.

"And how would we-"

"Ah, follow me." He smiles. He brings her to an area where patients shared areas but were separated by curtains. He sat her down on the bed and handed her a form to fill.

She fills it out no problem and waits there. She logs onto KakaoTalk and finds the chat that she always goes into.

Minnie: Jinah!  Sangmin!

Jinjinahhh: yes smol?

Minnie: can I vent?

Sangmind: I am: mute. I am not: your diary
Jinjinahhh: Dont be a dick. Go ahead, love. I'll punch my cousin at the next family meeting
Sangmind: ...Minjae asked us to come over yesterday
Jinjinahhh: :) so what's going on Minnie?

Minnie :  my moms getting the surgery. :( she didn't even tell me that they needed someone for blood! I really am useless.

Sangmind: yo, ya moms hella weird 😮
Jinjinahhh: awh, Minnie. Maybe she didn't wanna worry you with that stuff, you know? I'm sorry :/

"Miss Min!" A nurse says coming in, carrying about 5 vials. They go through the blood giving process, Minseo carefully watching the blood leave her and into the glass tubes. She watched how it fogged up with heat and wondered if her mother really was of the same blood. Or maybe she just took from her father's side.

"Alright! All done." The nurse cleans her up and slaps a bandaid on her. "Well let you know if there's anything odd looking on your blood results. You'll get a letter in the mail to give you all the results on your blood work."