Chapter 3

I was yelling and screaming Riley's name. All the nurses were standing around me, telling me to "quiet down" or that it was "going to be ok." It was not going to be alright... what I thought my life was... was fake! Riley was not real and I had no one who cared. My mom was never home, my dad left when I was 4, I just didn't see the point in life anymore. I continued on yelling Riley's name until I felt the hot jolt rush through my body again. My eyes cleared and I saw the Corrine holding my arm in her hand. I freaked out again, but I was stopped. I felt tired. Looking down at the needle she had just inserted into my arm, I realized she had given me some sort of sleeping medicine. Everything started to fade. I heard the muffled voices of the people around me. "We gave her a sedative, she will fall asleep soon." A nurse I had not recognized said. Everything became a blur. And then, I felt nothing.
Nothing at all. Until, I saw Riley. She was running around in a flower field. I just stood there, watching her long brown hair bounce around as she glided through yellow and white flowers. She stopped after a while to look at me. Her eyes softened and a big smile appeared on her face. All I did was smile back. No words were said between us, but we were communicating... but through thousands of thoughts. Nothing seemed to matter anymore... nothing but my beautiful Riley! The smile, staring and exchanging thoughts went on for what seemed like forever. And I didn't care if it did last forever. But suddenly, the thoughts came back. The thoughts of how Riley wasn't real, about how I had to go back sometime. I was staring at her still, she looked so real, how was she not? More thoughts entered my head. Those of the terrifying times that sent me into this world. My heart rate sped up. And my breathing became heavier again. Riley must have sensed my fear, her smile dropped and she came running to me. Just before I could collapse into her arms I woke again. This time, I didn't cry. I just laid there. Silent tears rolling down my cheeks.