Chapter 12

As I sat there, cold and hungry, I thought. I thought about my life and I thought about Riley. I wanted to spend my life with her... I wanted for us to be together forever. I started to cry, realizing that I wold never have her. She was a part of my imagination, nothing more.

I was sobbing into my sleeve when I heard a noise. It sounded like a car door open and close. I heard the beep of a car locking itself. 'Crap' I muttered to myself. I heard footsteps walking up the wooden deck that stood in-front of the house. It was dark out at this point, so I couldn't see that face of the person who owned the car.

I was looking out a crack in the door. I saw the lights turn on in the cottage. It was a man, he had dark hair and looked quite tall. He sat down on the old looking, brown couch, he put his feet up and turned on the T.V. It played for a little bit, maybe 5 minutes, then the amber alert came on. He sat up a bit and read the T.V. I wonder how many times they would play this.

It now said something different. A few sentences were added. It now said 'could be a danger to humans and or property' I furrowed my eyebrows. 'What?' I said out loud. I was not a danger, was I? The alert shut off and his regular T.V show played again. I saw him get up and get some food for himself. He also got a glass of water. I licked my lips. I was so thirsty and incredibly hungry.

I crawled back into my corner and attempted to fall asleep again. No luck. I was awake for hours, wishing I was back home. I didn't know why I felt so much comfort in thinking of my house. I didn't remember it, it was just a house to me. I guessed anything was better then this though. When morning finally came, I watched the man as he did some chores around the house. He cleaned the kitchen and washed the dishes. Then, he opened the back patio door. I shuffled back into my corner, hoping he wouldn't see me. He was headed back to the shed I was currently sitting in. He opened the door and Jumped back, after seeing me, the mess I was, I didn't blame him.

He starred at me for a few seconds, I disgusted look on his face. Then, it hit him. I saw it, it was like a slap in the face. He realized I was the girl who was described on the Amber alert. He backed up, remember the part about how I 'could be a danger to humans and or property' I rolled my eyes. I looked up at him, moving my hair out of my face. "Uh..." he said. "So... your Maya?" He asked. I decided that we were not going to speak. I just nodded my head, telling him yes. "Are you going to cause damage to me or my property?" He asked, mocking the alert. I giggled a little, but my face fell back into a sad frown milliseconds later. He looked me right in the eyes for a few seconds, trying to read me. His expression softened as he looked into my broken eyes. He gave me a look close to the one that Riley would give me, which made me feel a bit better. He asked me if I wanted to come inside the cottage with him. I didn't know who he was or what his intentions were.

I figured how much worse could it get, so I agreed to go inside. He reached out a hand to help me up. I threw myself back, hitting my back against the walls. He backed away, but quit moving farther when he realized I was just scared. "That's ok..." he gave me a soft, weak smile. "I won't touch." His voice sounded a bit calmer, now that he realized he didn't have to fear me. He started walking, and looked back at me to see if I was following. "You coming?" He asked. I nodded again and got up of the ground. I dusted myself off and started to walk towards the cottage. He opened the door and motioned for me to enter. So I did.

"I assume you hungry? I saw you have been missing for a few days..." he started to get a glass of water ready. I only hoped it was for me. He handed it to me. I took it graciously and gave him a forced smile. "Would you like a jam sandwich?" He asked. I didn't say anything, I didn't nod either. "Ok then..." he said. I guess if you eat it you want it. He prepared a sandwich for me. Putting it in front of me he asked if I needed anything else. I shook my head and started to eat the sandwich. It made my stomach hurt a little, I hadn't eaten in over 48 hours. I kept eating, it felt good to have something in my stomach.