Chapter 22

It was about 2 weeks since I had seen Riley last. I kept asking the nurses and doctors, even my Mom, about where he was and why I hadn't seen her in over 14 days. No one would tell me anything, they just said that I needed to focus on getting better so I could go home. I figured that meant something bad. I was getting tired of hearing "don't worry about Riley, just focus on recovery!" That as soon as I could walk, I hoped out of bed and hobbled up to Riley's floor. I knew exactly where her room was now, room 480. I went straight there and peered through the door. She wasn't in there. I opened it, looking around for her, or anything that could tell me if she was still staying in that room. All of her stuff was gone. A panic rose over me. Where was she? A nurse entered the room. "Oh, Maya! Thank god!" She said. "Why are you up here?" She asked. I still wasn't speaking, but I thought this could be an exception. "Where is Riley." I said. It didn't sound like a question, and it was in such a monotone voice. Still, with my depressed tone and lacking-of-expression voice, the nurse looked taken back. "Oh!" Her face lit up, I'm not sure why though. I doubted that she had ever been seen my voice. "Just-" she said. I interrupted. I was done with that crap. No more "just focus on getting better!" I wanted to know, I needed to know. "No!" I screamed. "No! Tell me where she is, how she got there, and why she is not here right now!" I screamed at her. I didn't want to admit it but I almost went up to her and threw her against a wall. Just like Riley had... before she left. The nurse was not very good at hiding fear. She looked incredibly scared and as if she had just seen a ghost. "Just tell me... and we will not have any problems..." I said. I figured I would use the fear she had on her face to manipulate her into spilling the information. "Uh... um..." she muttered. I hated her right now. More then I had ever hated anyone before. "Just. Tell. Me..." i said through my teeth. "She was moved... to a, Uh... different hospital..." the nurse said. I tilted my head, as if I didn't understand, but really I just wanted more information. "She was transferred to a mental institution..." those words killed me. I looked at her with tears in my eyes. "How far..." I mumbled. "Pardo-" I interrupted. "HOW FAR?" I screamed in her face. "She, she was put in one about 6 hours away... I- I don't know exactly where..." my body fell weak. My legs couldn't support my weight anymore. I fell to the ground in a puddle of my own sadness and misery. I was on my knees, practically screaming. I needed Riley back. Would we only be able to communicate in our dreams again? The nurses just left me there. They let me have time to myself, finally.