Chapter 32

He drove for about 20 more minutes, and then turned into a small parking lot. When he picked a parking spot, he told me that I would have to be careful. He told me that when I was being questioned, anything I said could be used against me, and that they will never try to help me. When I entered the building, I didn't even bother to look at my surroundings. I just walked where the officer lead me. He sat me down in a plastic chair that was sitting in a small room with no windows and gray walls. It looked exactly like the rooms criminal would be questioned in in the movies. It scared me quite a bit. He left after 2 tall men in suits walked in and sat down. They both looked so serious, and incredibly mad. "Maya..." one of them said, he was flipping through some files, as the other just stared at me. "So... the first question..." he spoke with a deep voice, it fit his appearance perfectly. He was tall, around 220 pound and had broad shoulders. He was bald and had dark glasses on. 'How cliché' I though. The other man was a bit shorter and had a full head of blond hair. He wore glasses also. "Did you try to kill Riley Mathews..." he asked. "No..." I replied, I looked him straight in the eyes, as he took off his un needed sunglasses. "Where were you when she was attacked?" "I don't know when she was attacked..." I looked at the other man, it was as if he was staring into my soul. He was trying to read me, to see if I was lying, I was not. "It was 8:00 on Tuesday night..." he said. "I was walking back to the corner store." "Walking back?" He said as if a question. "Walking back from seeing Riley?" "Yes..." I said. He asked me some more questions. After a while he said "So... Riley is your girlfriend?" My eyes widened. "Yes... that is exactly why I would NEVER try to kill her..." I said. "Well, Maya... we are going to have to keep you here, until tomorrow, when you will have to go to court." He said. I was not old enough for jail... how would I go to court? To see if I would be sentenced to a child-like jail? He grabbed my arm with incredible force and a tight grip and lead me to a cell. I sat there, for hours, crying to myself. I was so worried about Riley. Maybe if I took the blame they would stop trying to solve the case and focus more on her getting better. I would do anything to protect her and keep her safe.