Chapter 19

I had no dream that time. But the time I was asleep felt like forever. I finally woke up to the sound of beeping. There was also the sound of a quiet television show on in the background. I tried to sit up, but the pain in my back was to strong. I whimpered in pain. Then heard another thing. Riley's voice. "Oh, Maya! Don't sit up!" She said. I just looked at her with a concerned face. "Haven't see you in a while..." she said. "How, how are you... here?" I asked. "They let me come visit every day for an hour..." she said. She pulled her chair over beside my bed. "Oh..." "ya..." she grabbed my hand and started to play around with the hospital bracelet on my wrist. "You mom has to say it was ok though... of course..." she said. "Huh... where is my mom?" I asked. "She went home..." Riley said. We sat together for about 10 minutes in silence, just watching the T.V show. "Riley... how long was I asleep?" I asked. "They had you in a medically induced coma for about 3 days..." her words continued "they wanted to make sure that your back would be ok... is it?" "Yes... but it hurts..." I said. "Oh, so it isn't ok..." she raised and eyebrow. "Well... no," I smiled at her. She smiled back. "Maya... stop trying to play tough girl around me! Remember all those times in the dreams that I helped you?" She said. "Ya but..." I didn't have a good comeback. "Well... I don't have control over my dream body and mind..." I made a pouty face and talked real whiny. Riley started laughing at me and I laughed as well. I looked deep into her eyes, they were so big and beautiful, and so full of life. They shined every time she laughed or smiled. Even when she spoke her eyes glistened. A few minutes later a nurse came In. As soon as she did, Riley's eyes went dull. The nurse told her that it was time to go back to her room. "Please can she stay longer?" I asked. The nurse jumped at the sound of my voice. "Oh! Maya! Your awake..." she said, placing a hand on her heart. I never really understood why woman did that. She told me that Riley had to go now. The nurse reached out to grab Riley's arm to lead her out. Riley jumped up when the nurse touched her. What was with the two of us and freaking out when being touched? She threw the nurse back into the wall. I could feel that she was not mad, just scared. Riley held the nurse against the wall. One hand on her arm, one hand on her neck. "Riley!" I forgot for a second that my back was all messed up. I screamed in pain and flopped back down onto the bed, clutching my back. Riley let go of the nurse and ran over to me. "Maya! It's ok... it's ok!" She said. Her voice turned from scared to angry. She spun around and yelled at the nurse. "Well?" She screamed. "GO GET MAYA SOMETHING TO HELP HER PAIN!!!" I tried my best to stop screaming, but the pain was not leaving. "Riles please don't yell at her!" I said through gritted teeth. She turned back to me. "I'm sorry Maya..." she said. The nurse hurried out of the room. I was not screaming anymore but still in a great deal of pain. "Riley..." I said, holding back tears. "Yes Maya?" She said looking back up at me. I decided to stop holding my pain in. "I-It hurts... my back... it- it really hurts..." I started to cry again. "I know Maya... the nurse is coming back, don't worry..." she grabbed my hand and rubbed her thumb against my palm. She used to do that in the dreams when I would have a panic attack or a flash back. "Just breathe slowly..." she said. "Count your breaths..." she said. Her voice was so calming and perfect it almost made me forget about the shooting pain in my back.