Chapter 13

I kept eating until it was done. I then drank my water. He looked at me the whole time, witch kind of creeped me out. "So... uh... are you, like... ok?" He asked. He seemed really unsure about me, it made me unsure about him. I didn't move. "You don't talk?" This was a question but it seemed more like a statement. I shook my head again. "So the amber alert thing told me to call this number..." she showed me a pad of paper. Stared at him. My eyes were begging him not to call. He didn't say anything else, just walked away into a different room. I watch him walk off. Then just sat there, looking around.

He had pictures of himself with a bunch of different people. Most of them had a dark haired girl with him. She looked to be a few years younger. And one had her, him and a newborn baby. I smiled at tho picture, the baby had a mommy and a daddy that looked as if they couldn't care more about it anything other than them. I loved to see happy families, even though they reminded me of what I never had.

He came back out and saw me looking around. Quickly he blocked my view by standing in between me, and the photos. I looked up at his face. "You probably should not look at these." His voice was shaky. "Was that your family?" I was taken back by the sound of my own voice. I spoke to him. He gasped. "Uh, yes... but only some of it." He looked down at the floor. I looked at him, asking if he could tell me more. He spun around and turned one picture over.

He pointed at one that looked relatively recent. "That's me," he said, his finger slid from himself to the dark haired girl. "That is my wife, Carly." He said. "And those are my two children, Hailey and Connor." He pointed to two little kids, they looked to be about 5 and 3. I smiled, they looked so happy.

He walked over to the kitchen and grabbed a glass. "Want some juice?" He asked. I nodded. As soon as he turned around to get the juice, I uncovered the photo he had flipped over. I almost fainted. The picture... was of... me! Me and my mother. I looked to be about 3, not a care in the world at that age. My mother had her arm around the man who brought me in here. He was holding me on his shoulders and smiling very big. His large hand was holding one of my legs so I didn't fall. All of us looked so happy. My Mom looked happier then I had ever seen her! It was so weird to see us happy. It hadn't been like that for a very, very long time.

I heard a smash. I spun around, only to see that man starring at me with huge eyes. One of the glasses had fallen onto the ground. "Maya?" He said. "Dad?" I said, my voice week and cracking. He nodded and I ran into his arms. I always promised myself that if I had ever seen him again I would be mad. But I just couldn't, so I hugged him. "Maya... I'm so sorry..." he said. I jumped back. "Why did you leave?" I asked through tears. "I just... I couldn't give you and your mother what you deserved..." he said. His eyes were sad. "It only mad things worse for us..." I said back. "I know... I have never stopped regretting leaving you guys..." he said. I saw a tear roll down his face. I said nothing. It was such an awkward silence.

We were interrupted when I heard a car door shut. Then followed by 3 more. I looked at my dad, then to the patio door. I bolted to it as fast as I could but he caught me. There were no hot jolts, no flash backs, just the fact that I couldn't be caught. I knew they would take me back to the hospital. I could NOT go back there. I kicked and screamed. He just held me down. "Maya... it O.K..." he said, his voice was so calming, I just wanted to melt into his arms. But I couldn't. "IM NOT GOING BACK THERE! THEY CANT MAKE ME!" I yelled. I felt more hands on me, then came the bad feeling, the anxiety, the feeling of complete terror. But suddenly nothing, nothing again. "Maya?" Said a voice. It was a voice that I knew, but a voice that I hadn't heard in a long time. "RILEY!!!" I said, turning to run into her arms. "RILEY!!!" I said again, after collapsing in her arms. "Maya, I need to tell you something..." she said. "You need to stop fighting... your safe now... you were not safe on those streets." I pulled away from our hug. "Huh?" I asked. "They.will.take.care.of.you.Maya" she said again, more slowly. "But..." she shut me up with a kiss. I was taken back, but it only took me a second to kiss back. She pulled away and said "no... no buts... just stop fighting..." her voice became quieter. I knew what was happening, I was walking up.