Chapter 4

The days felt so long. I had nothing to do but sit in my bed and watch T.V shows all day and night. I had not been sleeping right either. My eyes would shut, but I couldn't drift off to sleep. I hadn't talked to anyone either. Not even my mother. The only person I wanted to talk to was Riley, no one else. The nurse would come in every few hours to check on everything. She would try to get me to talk to her, but I never did. She would say things like "hi Maya! How are you feeling today?" Or "would you like something to eat Maya?" I didn't answer. So eventually, she stopped trying. Today it was raining outside. The weather looked as I felt. Apparently today was the day that I was meant to leave the hospital. I was not excited. I did not want to stay. It was hard for me to feel any emotions anymore. I almost jumped out of my skin when the door to my room swung open. I was scared for a minute, the realized it was just the nurse. "Sorry to scare you Maya." She said. My eyes followed her across the room. She looked at me, and I quickly looked away. I wanted to speak to her. It had been almost two weeks since I had spoken to anyone, except Riley. She had appeared in my dreams twice since she was running around in the flower field. The first time, we were in a restaurant together. We were talking and having a very nice conversation about other restaurants we had been to before. We held hands almost the whole time. After we were done eating, she lead me out of the restaurant. We walked alone on the streets for a while. Mostly in silence. She would say something a few times and I would answer back with a simple "yes" or "uhm." I starred at her as she walked. Trying to get the thought she was not real, out of my head. She stopped, interrupting my thoughts on how beautiful she was. "Maya..." she said.
"Yes Riles..." I asked, stepping back so I was beside she again. "It's going to be ok..." she said. Her eyes glanced back up at mine. She took both my hands and kissed me on the cheek. I blushed and smiled at her. She smiled back and let go of my hands. She turned and walked away. I didn't run after her. I just stood and watched her walk away. My vision started to fade. And I woke up, again disappointed. The second time she appeared was different. Different then any other time. I was walking alone on the streets. It was the middle of the day, everyone was acting normal. Some were shopping, some were having lunch at outdoor restaurant tables. I remember how I just walked... not knowing where I was going. But then Riley showed up. She didn't speak to me, she just appeared, then disappeared. This happened around 10 times, then, I woke up again.