Chapter 24

He agreed, he really agreed. My plan might actually work! We decided that he would come get me in 3 days. I couldn't wait. The plan was for him to somehow distract all the nurses and I will sneak out. I was kind of scared to see what he would do to distract them, since I didn't know him all that well, I had no idea what he was capable of. After I was out, I would climb into his truck and he would drive away. We would drive to where Riley was being kept, even though I had no idea where that was. All I had to do was find out where she was transferred to. This was where it got hard. A few hours past of me just thinking about how to outsmart the nurses. Maybe if I just steal Riley's file... but they probably don't have it anymore. I decided to sneak into the room where they kept the files, willing to risk it not being there. I waited until all of the nurses were gone, then opened the door just enough for me to slide into the room. 'Where is that file...' I thought to myself. I found a file holder that had 'M' on it. I figured it had everyone in the hospital who's last name started with 'M' in it. Riley's last name was Mathews so I decided to look. As I flipped through the files, I saw names and sickness and, just, EVERYTHING!!! It overwhelmed me. "Mathews, Mathews, Mathews" I mumbled as I scanned the folders. "Mathew!" I said when I found the files. There were two Mathews in the hospital. One was Riley! This made me smile. I went into the file. It said that she was transferred to Pittsburgh. I heard some nurses talking in the halls, so I hid the folder under my hospital gown and exited the room. I hurried back to my room and flipped back down in my bed. I took out the folder so I could read the rest of it. At the top where all of her basic information was, it's said her birthday. It said October 14th, that would be useful later. I looked up to where the "sickness" she had was. It said she had Anxiety, PTSD and mild Depression. 'Poor girl...' I whispered. I couldn't help feel bad. I wished Riley could just feel ok. I would take on everything she has been going through, just so she would be happy. I sighed as I read all of the upsetting, saddening things that were in her file. As I read through it, something crossed my mind. What did I have? I didn't know. I had to know now, so I got up and went back to that room, this time, barely making it before getting caught. I threw the file back and looked around for mine. It was in the 'H' folder. "Maya Hart... Anxiety, PTSD and COPD?" I was surprised to hear that I had all these terrifying things. I never imagined that I would have this. It was always one of those things that I would just say "it won't happen to me..." to. I didn't know what COPD was though. I quickly left the room, not bringing the folder with me. I got back to my room and sat down in my bad. A few minutes later my mom came it. "Mom?" I asked. She was kind of used to me speaking now, I had been talking a lot more now. "Can I borrow your phone?" I asked. She nodded and passed her phone to me. I looked up COPD. A lung disease that is caused by inhaling wood smoke. It causes your airway to swell, it also causes damage to the lungs. 'Wow' I thought. Did this come from the accident at the museum? Did I inhale too much smoke? I didn't know... but I did wonder if I would die from it. The thought left my head when Riley entered it. I could help but worry about Her. I didn't know how serious it was for her, or for me to be honest. A nurse walked in, asking if she could take my blood pressure and my oxygen levels. I nodded. And she proceeded with her task. "Why did Riley have to leave?" I asked. It was incredibly random and out of the blue. "Oh, umm..." she said. "Um... I... I don't know!" She was a horrible liar. She spoke to me as if she was a bad actor auditioning for a play. "Don't lie to me... please just tell me... I'm not hurting anyone..." I tried to push some tears out so I looked more venerable then like I was plotting a double escape. She looked into my eyes and I could tell that I was fooling her with this whole, I'm-sad-and-just-want-to-know-where-my-girlfriend-is act. She sighed and paused. "She was sent away because they thought that she was no longer doing well here... they thought she was getting worse to be honest. She was becoming a danger to herself and others around her." The nurse said. She shook her head. "Oh come on..." I said, "Riley wouldn't hurt a fly!" My mind was screaming of laughter saying, "Riley? Come on!!! She is the sweetest most considerate girl on this planet."  The nurse looked at me with an expression that said "really???" She raised one eyebrow.