Chapter 7

Zhan Yao thought that maybe he should prepare his last words.

The silence was almost deafening. The air was so thick from pressure, one would be able to cut it.

Zhan Yao doesn't remember ever having experienced such a nerve-wrecking situation before.
He still didn't dare to face Bai Yutong. This shouldn't have happened. Now he was deep down in trouble. Very deep down.

"Aren't you going to say anything? You could try to deny everything again. Let's see how you act your way out of this situation this time."

Yutong's tone was mocking and agressive. Well, obviously. Who wouldn't be angry in his situation?

"...I'm sorry."

Zhan Yao finally whispered weakly after a long silence.

"I just-"

He didn't finish the sentence as he could feel he was choking up a little. He never had wanted to hurt Bai Yutong or lie to him. But he just couldn't find any other way due to the circumstances.

Bai Yutong sighed. His anger subsided a little.

"Listen, I don't know all the details yet but shouldn't you put a little bit more trust in me? I know you want to protect me, but so do I. I also want to protect you. And I'm your boyfriend, right. I said it before: no matter what happens, I'll stay by your side until the end."

Zhan Yao was remembered at their first night and Bai Yutong's words again and couldn't help but blush at the memory.

"You always try too hard, cat. Please let me help you shoulder some of your burdens. You don't have to do everything by yourself, rely on me, okay?"

Yao got flustered by Bai Yutong's words.

He weakly nodded in understanding. His face was compareable to a tomato by now.

Really adorable. Bai Yutong smiled.

"What's that. Is the great Professor Zhan getting embarrassed, by any chance?"

The mouse couldn't hold back his teasing and his cat shot him an angry glare.

But instead of looking fierce and intimidating, he just looked down-right adorable.

Like a pouting kitten.

Yutong laughed which further upset Zhan Yao and he sulkily turned his head away.

"Come on, don't sulk. Do you really think you have any right to be upset with me?"

By now, Bai Yutong had approached the bed again and sat down next to Zhan Yao. Because the other man didn't notice, his face was right in front of Yutong's when he turned his head back.

His breath got stuck in his throat.

Yutong could see the shimmer of guilt in Yao's eyes as well as a few unshed tears.

He softly caressed the cat's cheek - as if he was the most fragile object which could crumble if he put too much pressure in his touch.

Zhan Yao felt that his touch felt extremely intimate. Mabe it was because they hadn't allowed themseves to behave like this in a long while? Well, apart from the one time they kissed in the cell a few days ago.

"Cat..."

He sighed softly at the familiar nickname, comfortably closed his eyes and tilted his head, nudging it against Yutong's hand in search for more contact.